Compliance Operations Manager
The mission of the Compliance team at Square Japan is to perform the day-to-day operational tasks associated with payment network, partnership and regulatory requirements. The team actively engages in monitoring for prohibited activities such as anti-money laundering activity along with enforcing Square's Merchant User Agreement. Other areas of responsibility include operations related data analysis and planning, escalations, liaison with internal stakeholders and interactions with corporate partners and the credit card payment networks.
The Compliance team is looking to bring in an experienced individual to set strategic and tactical goals in ensuring the company is fulfilling all regulatory and partnership obligations. In a constantly evolving and dynamic environment, this role requires managing multiple touch points including running day-to-day operation and managing internal/ external relationships.
- Oversee Japan based compliance operations team, including training, hiring, coaching, and managing staff
- Work with Square Compliance leads to provide strategic planning on team growth, organizational structure, focus areas, and quarterly goals
- Assess and manage a risk based monitoring program to detect high risk activity and analyze and design Compliance requirements for new products and services
- Develop, maintain and approve policies as well as procedures applicable to the team; including iterating on existing workflows to improve and add efficiency
- Work with other Compliance team members to develop technical specifications for tool enhancements or new tool build-out
- Understand regulatory landscape and compliance requirements; with emphasis on applicable BSA/AML requirements that include customer identification procedure, due diligence best practice, and anti-money laundering protocols
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge on regulatory changes and landscape
- Provide guidance and insight on merchant account analysis, including handling account escalations from junior team members and other customer facing teams
- You will collaborate with internal and external partners
- Provide coaching and training on account reviews for new and junior team members
- Conduct regular reviews of operations processes to ensure functionality and develop additional efficiency with the operations team
- Work cross-functionally with Customer Support, Risk, and other teams within Square and advise on compliance operations
- Communicate with corporate partners to ensure our compliance monitoring is aligned with their requirements
- 4+ years in a compliance and/or compliance operations role with a financial services firm, preferably in the payment or Fintech space
- Management experience leading teams in a dynamic and expeditious setting
- Extensive knowledge and expertise of AML regulations, risks and typologies
- Strong operational knowledge in executing and running a sound Compliance program, preferably with hands-on knowledge of payments and relevant regulatory requirements
- Proven ability to work with in a fast paced creative environment
- An independent executor who can perform flawlessly
- CAMS certification preferred
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace.
Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Learn more about our efforts to promote inclusion and diversity at block.xyz/inclusion
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.