Senior Data Scientist, Square Go
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. Whether it’s the food truck that’s establishing a brick & mortar restaurant, the former sole proprietor adding her first employees, or the entrepreneur expanding from one location to ten, as our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
Square Go is a new consumer marketplace and booking management app for businesses using Square Appointments. We are looking to put some of the superpowers that we have built for businesses into the hands of their customers, while helping to grow those businesses by bringing in new customers discovering their next barber, nail salon, or other service provider in our marketplace. You will be the team’s first dedicated data scientist that closely partners with 4–5 software and ML engineers, moving fast and experimentally (e.g. think quarterly planning instead of annual planning), and putting on (and swapping) multiple hats.
- Partner with the Square Go team to make data-driven decisions that have significant impact;
- Define the data vision and execution for general buyer-facing properties at Square;
- Apply a diverse set of techniques including statistical analysis, machine learning (ML), analytics, and data engineering to generate strategic insights;
- Collaborate with ML engineers on interesting ML initiatives ranging from categorization to search/recommendations;
- Communicate analysis and recommendations to high-level business partners in verbal, visual, and written forms;
- Develop resources and collaboration processes to empower data access and self-service so that your expertise can be leveraged where it is most impactful.
- 4+ years of data science experience or equivalent;
- Fluency with Python and SQL;
- Solid statistical foundations (e.g. A/B testing);
- Familiarity with standard machine learning concepts (e.g. regression/classification, clustering, offline/online model evaluation) and curiosity to learn more modern techniques (e.g. NLP) as required;
- Familiarity with data engineering best practices;
- Experience leading cross-functional projects and partnering with Product/Engineering/Marketing/Design on strategy and prioritization;
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
Nice to have:
- M.S or Ph.D. in a quantitative field (e.g. mathematics, statistics, or similar STEM field);
- Experience working on online marketplace products / mass market consumer-facing apps.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace.
Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Learn more about our efforts to promote inclusion and diversity at block.xyz/inclusion
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.