Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The global Square Risk team works to protect Square, Square sellers, and enable safe growth across our ecosystem. Square’s Japan Risk team is looking for a Risk Operations Specialist to reduce transaction fraud within the merchant commerce space. Reporting to the Japan Risk Lead, you will perform detailed analysis of high-risk purchases/transactions in real-time queues to identify unauthorized transactions across different types of payments (card and mobile payments), and support to sellers who have received a payment dispute, also known as chargeback.
You will analyze unrecognizable risk patterns and chargebacks, and communicate with Square clients in cases where additional information is required. You may have an interest in the areas of fraud investigation and the financial payments industry, and are curious about how new world events and scenarios impact upon risk. This position can be based remotely in Japan, from our Tokyo office, or a mix of both.
- Monitor real-time queues and review high-risk transactions from specified points-of-sale
- Use policies to determine if transactions are fraudulent or risky and should be canceled and refunded, or are legitimate and should be processed and fulfilled
- Maintain or exceed established service level agreements and guidelines for resolution of queued transactions to minimize potential revenue losses
- Manage escalations through multiple channels (email, and Customer Relationship Management systems) from customers and resolve issues within established service-level agreements
- Conduct analysis of transactional and customer records to link unidentified transactions and accounts to known fraudulent activity
- Monitor and respond to cardholder disputes including researching and compiling evidence to validate transactions
- Advocate for customers by identifying trends in issues and suggesting improvements to Square processes and products
- Build knowledge of risk at Square, and the broader payments industry
Work nontraditional shifts including non-business hours and some Japanese public holidays
- Some experience in a risk related role which included direct customer support
- Ability to work with Japan-based customers in Japanese (writing and phone), and global Square colleagues in English (reading, writing and video meetings)
- Experience working in a customer-focused environment, handling multiple projects
- Strong internet research abilities
- Experience using CRM tool
- Desire to improve the customer experience
- Passion for Square and interest in the technology industry
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience
- Experience working in a finance or operational risk environment
- SQL / Looker experience
- Risk and chargeback experience
- Credit Risk and/or underwriting experience
- Fin-tech or insurance industry experience
Internally this role is known as Risk Operations Specialist.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace.
Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Learn more about our efforts to promote inclusion and diversity at block.xyz/inclusion
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.