Senior Software Engineer, Square Banking Credit
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square’s rapidly growing lending platform, Square Banking Credit, has revolutionized the way businesses and consumers obtain the funding needed to achieve their goals.
Unlike traditional business financing products, Square Banking Credit offers are extended to pre-qualified sellers with no application process, funds are deposited as soon as the next business day, and repayment happens as a fixed percentage of daily card sales. Since the product launched in 2014, Square Banking Credit has extended more than $9 billion to hundreds of thousands of sellers.
As a full-stack software engineer on the Markets Engineering Team within Square Banking Credit, you will be responsible for designing, building, and owning the services and infrastructure that power our Markets platform. Our Markets platform is responsible for servicing the needs of our investors as well as the internal teams who support those investors. This includes handling loan sales, settling loan repayments, and providing portfolio management reports. If you have a passion for the intersection between finance and technology and a dedication to precision and detail in software design and development, we want to work with you!
- Build brand new features from the ground up, defining the user experience, system design, implementation, tests, and leading the rollout
- Orchestrate the timely, secure, and accurate movement of millions of dollars per day to and from our investors
- Build systems that generate reports and analytics that operate over massive amounts of sensitive data, while maintaining high performance and absolute accuracy
- Develop detective controls to quickly discover and fix irregularities in our systems
- Work closely with engineering and the internal Capital Markets team to build software that is clean and forward-thinking
- Level up the skills of engineers and cross-functional partners in order to improve engineering quality and increase team effectiveness
- Design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave and move fast without ever negatively affecting our customers
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- A passion for building products that are beautiful inside and out – from user experience to their robust and elegant design
- Extensive experience designing, building, and operating complex systems with a variety of technologies
- Interest in modeling complex domains and building resilient systems to support real world applications at scale
- Excellent interpersonal skills that enable effective communication and collaboration with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong software development skills and computer science fundamentals
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace.
Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Learn more about our efforts to promote inclusion and diversity at block.xyz/inclusion
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.