Senior Quantitative Risk Analyst, Model Risk Management
The Model Risk Management Team is dedicated to ensuring regulatory compliance, supporting the reduction of potential errors or bias, and promoting appropriate utilization for models created and maintained by Block. The team achieves this by establishing and implementing robust model governance frameworks, validating and monitoring model performance, and providing guidance on best practices for model development and risk management. This is a foundational team within compliance, which means it will support and collaborate with all key functional areas of Block regardless of the product or market.
We are looking for a Senior Quantitative Risk Analyst with model validation experience to join our team and support our model risk management activities. Your responsibilities will include validating machine learning models as applied to regulatory compliance such as anti-money laundering (AML), Know Your Customer (KYC), and sanctions screening. You will also provide analytical support and insights to improve our model development, and documentation standards.
In this role, you should have strong quantitative skills, attention to detail and knowledge of relevant regulations and industry best practices. You should also have excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Validate machine learning models using data analysis, testing procedures and quality assurance methods
- Evaluate and improve model validation activities, processes, and metrics
- Assess and advise on model governance frameworks, and development practices
- Identify and communicate model risks, issues, and gaps to management
- Provide analytical support and insights to improve model development, validation, and documentation standards
- Stay updated on emerging trends, developments and best practices in machine learning and compliance risk management
- Maintain validation documentation in accordance with internal policies and standards
- Develop continuous monitoring dashboards for ongoing model performance monitoring (e.g. model drift)
- Coordinate with cross-functional teams, particularly Data Science, Product, Engineering & Technology
- Develop effective stakeholder relationships and have a strong understanding of the businesses
- Bachelors degree in the physics, economics, statistics, or a similar STEM field with 5+ years of related work experience; Graduate degree w/ 3+ years of relevant working experience; or 9+ years of relevant working experience
- Knowledge of data science modeling techniques, methodologies (e.g. familiarity with deep learning, boosted trees, and unsupervised learning)
- Experience with scripting and data analysis programming languages, such as Python (preferable) or R
- Advanced proficiency with SQL and data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau)
- Strong quantitative skills with the ability to interpret complex data sets
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present technical information clearly and concisely
- High ethical standards with a commitment to integrity and professionalism
- Experience in validating machine learning models related to compliance regulations such as AML, KYC, sanctions screening, or fraud detection
- Prior experience in compliance risk management
- Knowledge of regulatory frameworks such as SR 11-7
Why join us?
At Block, we value diversity of perspectives because they fuel creativity. We offer competitive compensation packages, benefits, and perks. We also provide opportunities for career growth. and professional development. As a Senior Quantitative Risk Analyst at Block, you will be part of a team that is committed to providing reliable and accurate decision-making support while minimizing risk, and delivering long-term value to the organization and its stakeholders.
You will have the opportunity to work on challenging and rewarding projects that involve cutting-edge technologies such as machine learning. You will also collaborate with cross-functional teams such as Data Science, Product, Engineering & Technology.
If you are passionate about using your quantitative skills, to make an impact on economic empowerment, join us at Block!
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $138,200 - USD $169,000
Zone B: USD $128,500 - USD $157,100
Zone C: USD $121,700 - USD $148,700
Zone D: USD $110,600 - USD $135,200
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.