Senior Software Engineer, Data Safety
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
Cash Security makes protecting data easy by building self-service APIs and governance frameworks. We collaborate with platform and product development teams across the Cash ecosystem to help them autonomously understand how to meet governance requirements, protect against malicious attacks, respect our customers’ privacy, and ultimately maintain trust. We provide guidance to our stakeholder teams around compliance, privacy, and security in order to help them confidently manage these risks within their domains while ensuring that their decisions do not have broader downsides.
On Cash Product Security, we believe that security is the responsibility of everyone, especially those who ship product solutions. We work closely with the product engineering organization to enable teams to make great security decisions on behalf of their customers. The Data Safety sub-team focuses on protecting Cash App’s most important asset: our customers’ data. We work across Cash and the Block enterprise to identify, measure and reduce risk related to handling consumer data. We protect Cash App customers from data misuse as we scale to 100M monthly active users and beyond.
We iteratively build tools and abstractions to:
- ensure the safe handling of data at collection time, at rest, and in transit
- align engineering strategy with security governance goals and global compliance regime requirements
- govern the data lifecycle
- highlight insights about business risks to allow teams to take action and ownership
- empower machine learning and product engineering teams to own their data security posture with confidence
- make the secure choice also the easy choice for other engineers
Your duties will include some of the following:
- Building security tools for other engineers to use
- Utilizing knowledge of machine learning and big data platforms and tools, including building first-party or bespoke ML infrastructure
- Working with cross-functional stakeholders across teams, verticals, and business units, and partnering with other teams to achieve great security outcomes
- Creating and maintaining team processes that allow the team to protect their time while satisfying our internal customers’ needs
- High-level understanding of consumer data privacy regulations and concepts, like GDPR, CCPA, and the right to be forgotten
Our partner teams use the following tools:
- AWS and GCP
- DynamoDB and MySQL
- Kotlin, Go, Java Microservices
- Data platforms like Snowflake and Databricks
- Machine learning platforms like Tecton and Prefect
Tools we teach, use, and build:
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace.
Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Learn more about our efforts to promote inclusion and diversity at block.xyz/inclusion
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.