Web/Frontend Engineer - FTL
Founded in July 2021, TBD is one of Block's four business units, alongside Square, Cash App, and Tidal. At TBD, we believe in a decentralized future that returns ownership and control over your finances, data, and identity. Guided by this vision, TBD is building an open source platform and developer infrastructure that enables everyone to access and participate in the global economy.
TBD is inviting the world to join us in building and adopting open and decentralized technologies that solve real problems for real people — from next generation infrastructure that lowers the cost of global payments and enables frictionless commerce, to decentralized identity technologies that enable anyone to access and participate in the global economy. Our mission advances economic empowerment through the power of decentralized solutions, built open source and collaboratively.
The offerings we build will provide developers, institutions, and individuals with the capabilities needed to build the next wave of innovative apps and services, and access this decentralized future. We’re leveraging bitcoin and other decentralized technologies to reinvent the global financial system in an open and permissionless way to further Block’s mission of economic empowerment, with a global focus
FTL is an open-source, next-generation platform that radically reimagines server programming prioritizing instant feedback, moving beyond microservices and traditional SOA, and integrating AI deeply into its fabric. As the primary Web/Front End Engineer you would be responsible for the entire user experience of FTL including real-time visualizations, deployment topology, operating consoles and dashboards. As an early team member, you would also have a significant role in the design of FTL itself. We care about building a carefully curated experience that is responsive, intuitive and delightful to use. Our team consists of veteran open source and infrastructure engineers, led by TBD's Chief Scientist and we prize a low-ego, deliver-and-iterate philosophy where everyone's ideas are heard.
As a member of the FTL team, you’ll collaborate with us to:
- Solve interesting design and UX problems, working closely with infrastructure engineers
- Build new features and experiences for FTL's dashboards, operating consoles and interfaces
- Research, design and develop rich, real-time visualizations of dataflows, behavior and system health
- Design and build unique AI-driven tools focused on developer productivity
- Collaborate on the design of control channels, system APIs and overall responsiveness
- Work closely with Block's legion of product teams (FTL's customers) to better understand their needs
- Share ownership of the FTL platform
- A unique opportunity to be in at the ground-level on a thorough reimagining of what platforms and systems programming will look like in 10 years time
- Strong desire to perform and lead as a frontend engineer with interest in architecture and backend technologies
- Strong sense of user experience design, aesthetics
- A passion / desire to improve the lives of fellow developers
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated initiative on previous projects
Technologies we use and teach:
- CSS (using frameworks like Sass or Less or Tailwind)
- TypeScript, ES6 language features including classes, promises, and functional concepts
- JSON and REST style communication
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.