iOS Software Engineer - OS Systems, Cash App
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
As a valuable member of the OS Systems team, you will be responsible for building and maintaining systems and primitives that help every client engineer at Cash App accomplish their jobs in a more efficient manner. We’ve grown our organization significantly and are working to build scalable, easy to understand internal infrastructure that now supports 10x the number of engineers that the current infrastructure was designed for. In short, we believe Cash is big and will only get bigger, and thus we want to build “Cash OS” as a foundational layer within the Cash App application for both current and future features. We believe solving these problems will mean embracing open source technologies in many cases, and encourage contributing back to the open source community.
This team has spent the past year working to define its roadmap, but there is still lots to do and many undefined areas. Like any operating system, we believe it will grow and evolve indefinitely. The team includes some of the most senior members of the iOS organization, who have lots of experience working with others, and is a great opportunity to learn and grow. Team members are encouraged to identify and define their own projects based on the needs of the organization and to regularly work with those outside of their immediate team.
Projects for this team include (but are not limited to):
- Creating a scalable plugin-like system for features into the app. Sort of like support for mini apps within Cash App.
- Improving client/server interaction/APIs to reduce complexity and minimize errors
- Identifying and fixing poor APIs or architectural inefficiencies to increase developer velocity
- Identifying and prototyping shared documentation extraction systems to increase documentation visibility
- Build and maintain tools that increase the leverage of every client engineer at Cash App
- Solicit input from our client engineering organization to solve problems holistically across our ecosystem
- Have a meaningful impact on the speed at which our engineering organization delivers to our customers
- Maintain, monitor, and remediate issues within (and surrounding) the core primitives that you have created in the Cash OS
- Embrace and contribute to open source software where needed
- Experience creating readable, well-crafted, and maintainable code
- Exceptional communication skills in written and oral form (describing ideas, discussing approaches, presentations, status updates, and generally working with peers to collaboratively reach solutions)
- Ability to work with remote teams and operate autonomously in a different timezone
- A commitment to continuous improvement (yourself, your teammates, your software)
- A history of dealing with large codebases and organization scalability
- A desire to shape the solution to broad problems within the mobile infrastructure space
Technologies we use and teach:
- Swift, Kotlin (including multiplatform), Ruby
- Cocoapods, Bazel, Gradle, Jenkins
- Protocol Buffers
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.