Lead Software Engineer (Full-Stack/Backend) - Afterpay
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
As a Software Engineer on the Post Purchase Experience Team you’ll be responsible for working on some of the most important aspects of the consumer journey.
We’re on a mission to ensure a smooth and delightful experience for our users once they become our customer. Post purchase experience encompasses a wide range of systems and services with the Afterpay ecosystem. We have a renewed focus on improving the Afterpay app and making it the main commerce destination for our consumers across the Block ecosystem. We’re making our 20m+ active customers’ experience unique and rewarding.
We’re going to be making huge strides on our frontend & backend technology, making sure each of our customers, regardless of usage, gets a personalized experience. This is a perfect opportunity for a Software Engineer that enjoys working on user centric projects and focusing on product engineering.
- Primarily build, maintain and enhance services using Java & Kotlin.
- Take end to end accountability from designing, developing software to rolling it out to production and supporting the running systems.
- Work in cross-functional Product teams responsible for the discovery, delivery and validation of product features via microservices, APIs, web-apps and mobile-apps.
- Peer review design decisions, code, automated tests and documentation
- Participate in the ongoing design and architecture of our evolving core platforms and services.
- Ensure that story estimates and code reviews are completed in a timely manner.
You will have:
- 5 years + strong experience building scalable and maintainable software-as-a-service applications using modern JVM languages, preferably Java, Kotlin
- Experience using backend technologies including Spring Boot, ORM/Hibernate, Redis, relational and NoSQL databases is preferred.
- Strong experience working with Cloud technologies, preferably AWS stack.
- Understanding of integration technologies: microservices, RESTful APIs, JSON, Structured Logging, error tracing, service monitoring and alerting.
- Strong experience building testable, decoupled, maintainable code with high test coverage and quality in mind.
- Experience working within an agile and fast moving environment.
- A Bachelors' degree in Computer Science or a relevant field is preferred but not required.
Technologies We Use & Teach
- Kotlin, Java, Springboot, Http4K, Ameria, GRPC
- Typescript, React, Redux, Webpack, Jest, Playwright
- Docker, Kafka, Redis, Kubernetes
- MySQL, DynamoDB
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.