Engineering Manager, Square Online (Platform Convergence)
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Square Online makes it easy for merchants to start selling online, from food trucks to large retailers. The product has seen tremendous growth recently but still has an incredible amount of untapped potential.
The Platform Convergence team is an organization responsible for helping our seller succeed with their online store. We do this by getting them quickly set up with fulfillment options that their customers want and that with a unified and cohesive experience. Additionally, we empower merchants to focus on what makes them unique by supporting and simplifying complex online fulfillment models (pickup, delivery, and shipping) that are fundamental to their business’ growth, especially for upmarket sellers.
As a leader on one of the Platform Convergence teams within Square Online, you will be responsible for managing a team that owns setup experience for merchants using Square Online. You will have direct responsibility for shaping the product roadmap and delivering critical features that will help hundreds of thousands of merchants to quickly set up their online presence, start accepting orders and operate their business at scale.
- Work closely with engineering leaders across the company as well as design, product and analytics to create a remarkable online delivery, shipping and pick-up setup experience for the Square Online product.
- Grow and manage an excellent team of engineers, helping to develop their careers with ambitious projects and specific feedback.
- Ensure successful project execution through careful planning, organization, and ownership of your team's development processes.
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as part of the engineering management team.
Explore Square Online: squareup.com/online-store
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience shipping high-quality products
- 2+ years engineering management experience (including hiring, providing feedback, and career growth guidance for team members)
- Innate curiosity, and a desire to learn and teach
- Strong understanding of how to gather and leverage data to improve the product experience and drive growth
- Experience working effectively with product managers, data analysts, and other engineering leaders
Technologies we use and teach:
- PHP (with Laravel), Ruby, and Go
- MySQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, Memcached
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace.
Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Learn more about our efforts to promote inclusion and diversity at block.xyz/inclusion
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.