Infrastructure Engineer, Product Engineering
Founded in July 2021, TBD is one of Block's four business units, alongside Square, Cash App, and Tidal. At TBD, we believe in a decentralized future that returns ownership and control over your finances, data, and identity. Guided by this vision, TBD is building an open source platform and developer infrastructure that enables everyone to access and participate in the global economy.
TBD is inviting the world to join us in building and adopting open and decentralized technologies that solve real problems for real people — from next generation infrastructure that lowers the cost of global payments and enables frictionless commerce, to decentralized identity technologies that enable anyone to access and participate in the global economy. Our mission advances economic empowerment through the power of decentralized solutions, built open source and collaboratively.
The offerings we build will provide developers, institutions, and individuals with the capabilities needed to build the next wave of innovative apps and services, and access this decentralized future. We’re leveraging bitcoin and other decentralized technologies to reinvent the global financial system in an open and permissionless way to further Block’s mission of economic empowerment, with a global focus
We are seeking a skilled Infrastructure Engineer to join our team at TBD. In this role, you will play a pivotal part in the development and maintenance of our decentralized financial platform. Your responsibilities as an Infrastructure Engineer include:
- Providing technical expertise and leadership in the design, construction, and upkeep of our software and cloud infrastructure.
- Architecting and implementing robust infrastructure, monitoring/logging systems, security/compliance measures, and disaster recovery/business continuity plans for the platform.
- Utilizing your knowledge of public cloud platforms, CI/CD pipelines, infrastructure-as-code tools, container orchestration systems, and scripting/automation languages to create and maintain a highly automated, self-service infrastructure that enables developers to efficiently develop and deploy applications.
- Collaborating closely with TBD’s product teams (Platform Engineering's customers) to gain a deeper understanding of their requirements and tailor solutions accordingly.
- Sharing ownership of the platform, contributing to its success and continuous improvement.
You will report directly to the Product Engineering Lead of TBD, Hetong Li, and have the opportunity to build a best-in-class platform product.
Key Technologies we utilize:
- Public cloud platforms (primarily AWS)
- Container Orchestration (AWS Lambda, AWS Fargate, Kubernetes)
- Datastores and event systems (AWS Aurora, Kafka, etc.)
- Infrastructure-as-Code (Terraform, Pulumi, etc.)
- Continuous Integration, Deployment & Delivery (CI/CD) (Github Actions, etc.)
- Observability and monitoring (Datadog, etc.)
To succeed in this role, you should possess the following:
- A minimum of 7 years of professional software engineering experience, including at least 2 years of infrastructure engineering experience.
- A strong drive to excel as an infrastructure engineer, with a keen interest in building and growing a new platform.
- Proficiency in at least one of the programming languages we use.
- Proven experience working on coding projects in collaboration with other engineers on your team and customer teams.
- A passion for coaching and mentoring others, helping them develop their skills and knowledge.
- Familiarity with some of the technologies we use (as listed above) and a willingness to learn and adapt to new technologies.
- A keen eye for detail and a commitment to enhancing team collaboration, efficiency, and effectiveness (including your own).
- Demonstrated kindness, maturity, and empathy towards your customers and colleagues, fostering a positive and inclusive work environment.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.