Engineering Lead, International Services
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
We're looking for an Engineering Lead to lead our International Services pod within the International domain in Australia. We are looking for a leader with a people first approach who can also balance between product development and engineering excellence programs. This is an opportunity for a seasoned Technical Lead or Lead Engineer to transition into a full-time management position.
Our focus is Cross Border Trade and International Payments. It’s an exciting space that covers consumers as well as merchants from different geographies, cultures, and commerce behavior whether that’s shopping or selling. The International team lives in this space creating experiences to further the vision of Afterpay being the global platform of choice where anyone can truly shop or sell anywhere.
As a leader on this team, you will develop a motivated team. You will bring your robust technical knowledge to understand and negotiate technical decisions and represent the team to the greater organization. This is an amazing opportunity for an Engineering Manager excited to grow an established team in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.
In this role, you will:
- Ensure the team is delivering working software to our expected standards
- Participate in the technical development of Afterpay standards for software development, testing, release management and reviews
- Take ownership of f the work that your team is delivering within each iteration or standalone deliverable
- Undergo performance reviews and daily people management across the team
- Proactively manage issues early to avoid bigger problems later
- Support your team members to achieve their performance and development goals
- Ensure the team is collaborating with key stakeholders, such as Product Managers.
- 1+ years of experience as a Technical Lead or Lead Engineer
- 4+ years of experience as a Software Engineer, preferably supporting backend services and systems
- Passion about coaching and people development
- A collaborative approach to working across different business units and business partners
- Passionate about adding to and growing an organisation's engineering culture
- Enjoy driving the technical and product vision within the domain you operate in
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.