Sr. Security Software Engineer, Data Security
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Data Security is core to Block’s success. Block strives to make the basics of running a business easy for our sellers so that they can instead focus on building and growing their business. The Data Security Engineering team similarly aims to make it easy for our engineering teams to protect sensitive data throughout its lifecycle so that Block can ship remarkable products. We achieve these goals through developing data security education and policies, preventative guardrails, and secure, convenient tooling.
As a member of the Data Security Engineering team, you will:
- Contribute to the design and development of engineering solutions that support data security initiatives across Block’s engineering ecosystem
- Collaborate with other engineering teams incorporating data security engineering products into their solutions
- Act as an internal security subject matter expert, advocating for better security practices throughout Block
- Contribute to the monitoring and stability of our team’s existing engineering solutions
- Build large scale distributed systems that protect some of the most sensitive data in Block
Some qualifications you may have:
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- A high bar for writing quality, scalable, robust, and testable code
- Experience implementing, deploying, and monitoring highly-available, critical production systems.
- Willingness to learn new technologies or languages
- A strong desire to perform and grow as a security engineer and educate other engineers.
As a bonus, you may have experience or interest in:
- Designing novel yet robust security architectures and protocols
- Cryptography, common implementation errors, and safe abstractions
- Explaining complex technical security concepts clearly
- Securing cloud platforms
- PCI security standards (including DSS and PTS)
Technologies we use and teach:
- Go & Java
- AWS/GCP/Block-owned datacenter
- Datadog, Sentry.
- Service Mesh, Envoy
- Lambda, Kubernetes, Terraform, Docker
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $184,100 - USD $225,000
Zone B: USD $174,900 - USD $213,700
Zone C: USD $165,700 - USD $202,500
Zone D: USD $156,400 - USD $191,200
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.