IP Counsel, Strategic Engagement and Transactions
Block is looking for an experienced Intellectual Property (IP) Counsel with an interest in strategic engagements and transactions. Block's IP team sits alongside other Legal teams within its Counsel organization and protects Block's IP rights and fosters innovation by strategically building and managing its IP portfolio and counseling our employees on open source issues. You will lead the strategic engagements and transactions function, which seeks to proactively mitigate IP risk and counsel clients and partners on complex IP engagements and transactions. Additionally, you will manage the day-to-day operations of the Crypto Open Patent Alliance, including fundraising, membership outreach, and legal matters. You will report to the Global Head of Intellectual Property.
- Provide advice and negotiate IP terms in technology transactions and patent licensing
- Advise on IP issues in M&A and other transactions
- Participate in standards setting organizations
- Collaborate, interface with, and counsel engineers, tech leads, and partners in our Counsel organization on IP issues
- Identify and advocate for strategic patent transactions or initiatives that reduce Block’s patent risk
- Network with peers at other companies to share best practices
- JD degree and membership in at least one state bar
- Interest in and knowledge of financial and blockchain technologies
- Minimum of eight years of relevant experience
- In-house experience, especially technology transactions and M&A experience as an IP specialist
- Experience in one or more of the following: M&A commercial/IP due diligence, technology transactions, IP licensing, open source, handling of third party IP-related demands and dispute resolution
- Familiarity with computer science, electrical engineering or information retrieval, either through undergraduate or industry experience
- Experience with standards setting organizations
- Experience with IP litigation and licensing is desirable
- Presence in the IP community and related professional organizations is desirable
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $227,900 - USD $278,500
Zone C: USD $215,600 - USD $263,600
Zone D: USD $208,400 - USD $254,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.