Interactive Designer, Web
- Alternate Location: Chicago, United States
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
As an Interactive Designer at Square, you’ll create impactful and engaging experiences for the global web platform (squareup.com). Your designs will help our sellers find the best products to serve their business needs and provide consistency throughout their evaluation experience. You’ll design on the core site for squareup.com, including Homepages and Navigation. On a daily basis, you’ll collaborate with PMs, engineers, designers, writers, cross-functional partners, and Seller Experience Leadership. You’ll contribute to the success of design strategy, and help determine projects and roadmaps, deciding what matters most for our sellers and how we prioritize the work. This position will report to the Design Lead and is remote from the US or Canada.
- At least 5 years of industry experience designing for web
- You have a portfolio that shows your past work on either product or marketing design teams
- Experience as a primary contributor to multiple high impact projects
- Working knowledge of prototyping tools, and a foundational understanding of motion principles for web
- Familiarity with best practices and protocols for web usability, accessibility, and testing
- An appetite to consider audiences in multiple countries, and factor in localization and globalization needs
- Have a collaborative design process, starting with content strategy, visual concepting, and wireframing, all the way through design execution
- Demonstrate an expertise in typography, composition, layout, and motion design in the solutions you create
- Design at a systems level, where components can be built to scale and optimized across different screen sizes and devices
- Consider the holistic user journey across any touchpoints you create
- Enjoy working across an internal organization, and care about partnering and collaborating effectively through documentation, office hours, and pairing with fellow designers
- Care about your craft, and strive to improve quality of designs at scale
- Have a technical understanding of how to build web experiences across multiple breakpoints, devices, and locales, and can bridge the gap between design and code
- You can quickly iterate and communicate ideas across various levels of fidelity, and can receive and provide feedback constructively
- Interest in treating a global website as a product, thinking about what features and experiences would best benefit our sellers during the discovery phase of consideration
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.