Staff Software Engineer, Cloud Foundations
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
The Cloud Foundations team manages the overall strategy and architecture of Cash’s AWS platform, providing foundational infrastructure for Cash engineers to run their services on top of Cash’s cloud platform. Our platform and infrastructure enable services to scale and communicate securely, while enabling our users to effectively observe, debug, and monitor their applications. The Core Infrastructure group is a distributed team of infrastructure engineers spread across North America and Australia, and we work with other infrastructure engineers and product engineers who rely on the systems that we build.
As a member of the Cloud Foundations team, you’ll collaborate with our stakeholders to:
- Design, build, and operate cloud infrastructure that provide critical support for fast moving and fast evolving business needs
- Develop and own best practices for managing production infrastructure: automation, provisioning, scaling, connectivity, security, monitoring, testing, etc.
- Use a data-driven approach to make the call on any new infrastructure that might need to be added, whether it’s off-the-shelf or built in-house
- Architect distributed, real-time systems for high scalability and reliability
- Demonstrated technical initiative and leadership
- A passion for building, operating, and debugging distributed systems at scale
- Boundless curiosity, autonomy, and a strong sense of accountability
- A strong desire to perform and grow as an engineer, and mentor other engineers
- Experience managing AWS infrastructure at scale
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Experience designing and operating large-scale production systems
- Experience with container schedulers and runtimes (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Nice to have:
- Experience with service mesh deployments (e.g. Istio, Linkerd)
- Experience with observability tools (e.g. Datadog, Prometheus, ElasticSearch)
Technologies we use and teach:
- Go, Java, Kotlin
- Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Helm
- Datadog, Fluentd, Prometheus
- Istio, Envoy
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace.
Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Learn more about our efforts to promote inclusion and diversity at block.xyz/inclusion
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.