Senior Systems Designer
It all started with an idea at Square in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to our millions of monthly active users. We want to make the world’s relationship with money more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible. This is our mission, and it’s why working at Cash App means so much more than a job.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and we’ve got offices and remote teammates across the globe. Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers to learn more!
We are looking for a design lead to facilitate major cross functional initiatives with the team while driving system adoption and evangelization as we roll out our new design system over the course of 2023.
Design Systems is a part of the Operating Systems abstraction with the mission to create an infinitely scalable Cash App. We operate alongside a team that designs the core architecture and surfaces of our product experiences, as well as a newly formed group that will be dedicated to evolving the creative language of our ecosystem. Outside our immediate abstraction, we partner the most with product design verticals, our brand identity team, consumer insights, content and writing, and design operations. Our team has a wider range of skills and responsibilities spanning illustration, motion, and engineering. We love plugins, we love automation, and we love experimenting.
This role will partner closely with our engineering lead and together, will ensure the rollout of the new design system is in lock-step between design and engineering disciplines. This includes standing up the new system 0-1, getting it to operational mode, setting up a contribution culture, and charting out a public pattern roadmap.
- Drive the execution and adoption of our new design system, scoping and subsequently owning ambiguous cross-functional initiatives, while pushing pixels week over week
- Design components and patterns backed by research, put through testing, and published against benchmarks established with our cross functional partners
- Work autonomously, balancing ongoing long term work streams with strategic partners, and managing day-to-day system upkeep to libraries
- Advocate and evolve our contribution model through the ebb and flow of organizational growth, product maturity, and platform challenges
- Initiate and drive ongoing systems research efforts, acting as glue between all teams involved in horizontal projects
- Be an ear to the ground of the entire organization, looking to connect the dots in our ecosystem
- Help drive day to day project throughput with the other designers on the team
- 10+ years of experience working in user experience, product, or relevant design field
- 2+ years experience working in an explicit design systems role
- Champion the operationalization and adoption of standards
- Experience successfully designing and building design systems at scale within a large product organization
- Strong user interface and design fitness
- Proficiency with current UI and product workflow tools (figma, airtable, notion, etc.) and comfortable speaking to modern display layer technologies (Token Schemas, APIs, Swift, React, etc)
- Been mistaken for an ops person or product manager before, but also experience partnering with ops and product manager partners
- Experience working with distributed teams in multiple time zones and an affinity for designing and facilitating asynchronous collaborative work
- Work showcasing your involvement with research-- both preliminary and discovery, as well as tactical user testing and experience validation
- Past work experience showcasing the ability to define major workstreams, communicate a plan and success measurement framework, and then execute
- The spidey sense to recognize patterns most people don’t see in the organization, and the ability to facilitate collaborative efforts to connect the dots
- Experience working with creative & art directors, motion designers, audio designers, and illustrators as well as product designers, engineers, and product managers
- The same love for brand as you do product
- A portfolio showcasing experiences you’ve designed for varying platforms and devices (iOS, Andr, Responsive Web, etc) for a variety of different markets and audiences
- Past projects that showcase designing in ecosystems that require any of the following: global or local accessibility standards, translation, internationalization, localization
- Prior experience designing for the following product markets: wellness, behavioral health, education, training, supply chain, b2b
- Interest and experience mentoring other designers
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace.
Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Learn more about our efforts to promote inclusion and diversity at block.xyz/inclusion
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.