Product Counsel, Lending
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
As Product Counsel, you'll have a broad range of responsibilities providing legal guidance on product and feature development. You will report to Cash App’s Lending Product Counsel Lead and partner with our product teams to develop new offerings while managing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance. As we expand our offerings, your ideas and contributions will make an immediate impact.
You are highly motivated, organized, and creative. You are curious, with a desire to understand underlying causes and motivations. You’ve got experience with lending products, either as in house counsel or through your work at a firm. You are able to research and master complex legal topics and communicate them to non-lawyers in brief, clear language. You can markup a complex commercial contract, draft terms of service, manage a conversation with a bank partner, and draft a memo on the legal aspects of a new product feature. You are good-humored, patient, respectful to your co-workers, and bring a positive attitude to our team. You are capable of an expert understanding of a legal issue but can separate the practical from the academic and provide clear, accurate, and actionable advice to the business team. You are good-humored, patient, respectful to your co-workers, and bring a positive attitude in the office.
- Provide guidance to product and engineering teams on issues related to products and features throughout the entire product development lifecycle
- Develop trusted relationship with business partners and stay informed on key product developments
- Draft and negotiate commercial agreements affecting your products and services
- Work closely with other support teams (tax, compliance, accounting, outside counsel) to provide seamless support to business partners
- Actively cultivate creative ideas and insights into how legal frameworks can support new product developments and customer experiences
- 8+ years of combined, relevant experience in law firms, governmental agencies, or in-house legal departments
- Experience advising on consumer lending products, including consumer lending protection laws (Regulation Z), bank partnerships, and state licensing regulations.
- Familiarity with launching products and advising on the legal and regulatory aspects of product development in the technology space
- Excellent commercial negotiation and drafting skills
- Fluency translating legal advice into actionable guidance for creative products and collaborators
- Work in an evolving and growing environment that is prone to changes
- Sound, practical business judgment, and creativity solving problems
- A Juris Doctor (JD) degree and active membership in at least one state bar
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $227,900 - USD $278,500
Zone C: USD $215,600 - USD $263,600
Zone D: USD $208,400 - USD $254,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.