Senior Software Engineer - Admin Portals
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
As a Full-stack Senior Software Engineer in the Merchant Domain you’ll be responsible for ensuring Merchants also get the Afterpay experienceᵀᴹ. The team’s focus is onboarding new merchants with a suite of ecommerce integrations, providing tools post onboarding and finally statements for transaction visibility. This is a perfect opportunity for a Software Engineer that enjoys working in a global team and with product, creating new experiences for major retailers and businesses alike!
What you’ll be doing
- Scope, build and maintain/enhance systems & services using React, Kotlin, Java and related open source technologies
- Lead and participate in critical technical design and product discussions
- Own features and functions throughout their lifecycle from inception, rollout, launch, scale and iteration
- Practice eXtreme Programming (XP) engineering techniques of Software Development
- Fostering the use of agile practices for Software Delivery
- Work in cross-functional Product teams responsible for the discovery, delivery and validation of product features via microservices, APIs, web-apps
- Work with the software engineering team following our software development principles, guided by the Staff Engineers and Engineering Managers.
- Peer review design decisions, code, automated tests and documentation
- Participate in the ongoing design and architecture of our evolving core platforms and services
- Collaborate with product managers, experience designers & business stakeholders to build efficient and reliable feature implementations that will delight our customers
- Ensure that story estimates and code reviews are completed in a timely manner
- A demonstrable and strong track record of building highly scalable, performant and resilient systems/software
- Expertise in mentoring & coaching junior developers within teams
- Strong understanding of Full stack engineering in a complex development environment
- Solid understanding of how to build testable, decoupled, maintainable code and other engineering best practices such as XP techniques (TDD, pair-programming, CI, etc)
- Experience working within an agile, cloud-based environment, we use AWS
- Some working knowledge of backend technologies including but not limited to: Dropwizard, Spring/Guice, ORM/Hibernate, SQL and relational databases (Postgres)
- Ability to work with design team towards achieving goals towards UX/UI requirements
- Understanding of integration technologies: microservices, RESTful APIs, gRPC, JSON/XML Structured Logging
- Experience with version control, preferably Git
- The ability to build scalable and maintainable software-as-a-service applications using modern JVM languages
- Willingness to learn and apply new methodologies and techniques as required
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science or relevant field
- Great communication skills, able to discuss engineering issues and trade-offs without hesitation.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.