Strategic Response Counsel, Cash App
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
Cash App’s Strategic Response team addresses a range of issues that involve responding to high profile, complex and often time-sensitive challenges as well as day-to-day litigation, partner diligence, and external reporting across Cash App. This small and nimble team is looking for an agile lawyer to lead strategic response efforts focusing on North America, but able to pitch in globally. You will focus on driving coordination and strategic decision-making on important issues that may be under focused public scrutiny and logistical pressure. You will work closely with Cash App’s Legal, Policy, Compliance, Data Science and Cash Customer Operations teams to strategically respond to inbound inquiries about Cash App. You will report into the General Counsel of Cash App.
- Lead and coordinate among legal and team members to respond quickly to unexpected internal and external events requiring legal support
- Quickly get to grips with multi-faceted legal and business problems and distill and synthesize advice from a range of subject matter experts to participate in strategy discussions and response drafting
- Lead a team of program managers who have built Cash App’s current day-to-day external response program and lean in to continue developing the program’s strategy and function.
- Guide consistency and improvement in program management processes and tools for the strategic response team and partner teams (both horizontal layer across all programs, and vertically within individual strategic request programs)
- Participate in long-term team strategy, program management and prioritization, project management, and team leadership
- JD degree
- 10 years of legal experience within litigation, investigations, product counseling, or regulatory affairs (or any combination of these) gained in-house or at a law firm
- Confidence making decisions where there is ambiguity or incomplete information
- Experience managing projects and partnering with cross-functional teams
- Strong communication skills and experience with diplomacy
- Admitted to the bar and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law
- Experience with high risk incident response
- Experience working with technology companies, with the ability to understand technical issues
- Excellent attention to detail, with the ability to be action-oriented and meet the highest standards of integrity
- Experience in crisis management, litigation/strategic communications, or public affairs
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $296,600 - USD $362,500
Zone B: USD $296,600 - USD $362,500
Zone C: USD $296,600 - USD $362,500
Zone D: USD $296,600 - USD $362,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.