Hardware Compliance Program Manager
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
We want employees to be able to reside where they feel most creative and productive. You will be part of an org that works across North America, Asia and European time zone(s). This role is open to all people who can be effective partners with this team and external partners.
As part of a growing compliance team within the hardware engineering department, the Hardware Compliance Program Manager will lead activities across multiple programs associated with product safety, environmental, retail, payments, and other new requirements identified throughout Squares hardware portfolio. In doing so, you will own compliance requirements definition, stakeholder management, test activities, documentation review and control and other deliverables across internal and external partners. You will bring to the role a high level of technical expertise and program management experience. You will report to the Hardware Compliance Lead and will be part of the larger Hardware Program Management organization.
- Work with Square Hardware & Software Engineering, Product, Packaging, Manufacturing, Retail, Logistics, Legal, and other business groups
- Sift through ambiguous/competing/changing standards and provide clear guidance to Squares hardware design team, including assessment of potential risks/pitfalls of a given design path
- Provide design-for-compliance feedback early in the design process to make the compliance certification process as efficient as possible and reduce time to market. This may include feedback in the form of Hardware and/or Software related design optimizations
- Manage the product compliance certifications process across target markets and then ensure sound planning, prioritization, execution, dependency management, risk & mitigation analysis, and relationship management through the program
- Promote the engagement with our contract manufacturers to deliver necessary work to build defined test plans within the Hardware system schedule
- Develop compliance program documentation ensuring that an up-to-date repository of relevant product information across our programs are easily accessible to our our teams
- Build partnerships with test labs, certification bodies, and CM/OEM partners to use their capabilities
- Monitor changing standards and understand how Block products are affected
- Manage testing at off-site test labs
- Manage budget for compliance activities
- Participate in hardware compliance audits and guide readiness for hardware design and factory audits
- 5+ years of experience in hardware compliance preferably in global compliance of consumer electronics products (Safety, radio, EMC/EMI, Wireless).
- 1+ years of project management experience
- Experience managing vendors (CMs, OEMs) to outsource compliance testing and certification
- Ability to travel internationally (less than 25% time)
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $184,100 - USD $225,000
Zone B: USD $174,900 - USD $213,700
Zone C: USD $165,700 - USD $202,500
Zone D: USD $156,400 - USD $191,200
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.