Bitcoin Regulatory Counsel
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
Cash App is looking for a Regulatory Counsel to join its legal team to provide legal advice on bitcoin regulatory matters. This role will provide regulatory legal advice to support product development, engage with bitcoin regulators, and partner with our policy team to provide practical industry education to lawmakers. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who enjoys developing a deep understanding of the regulatory landscape and advising internal stakeholders on emerging legal requirements. As part of Cash App's legal team, your ideas and contributions will have immediate impact. This is a full-time role that can be remote and will report to Cash App's Head of Regulatory.
- Maintain a deep understanding of current virtual currency regulations, newly issued guidance, proposed rulemaking and newly effective regulatory requirements that affect Cash App’s digital asset offerings.
- Provide counseling to Product Counsel and Compliance for Cash App’s bitcoin products and ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Engaging with regulators and external partners by providing thought leadership and strategic direction on novel digital currency legal and regulatory issues
- Work with the bitcoin policy team on reviewing proposed rulemakings, drafting and reviewing comment letters in response to proposed rulemakings and keeping the Cash App legal team apprised of proposed changes to regulations.
- Lead licensing applications and work with the existing team on the management function for required virtual currency licenses
- Build working relationships with colleagues across multiple Block, Inc. business and legal teams in the US and around the globe
- 8+ years experience at a law firm with bitcoin advisory experience, financial services regulatory agency, or cryptocurrency exchange
- Superior analytical skills and familiarity with the crypto legal landscape, including regulatory regimes for financial instruments such as securities and commodities laws and regulations, money transmission / money services business laws, banking and payment services regulations, and AML/KYC/sanctions rules
- Experience handling regulatory and enforcement matters and prior relationships with relevant regulators at the New York Department of Finance and other relevant state and federal agencies
- High degree of comfort and fluency with computers and technology, and understanding of how technology is applied to business and regulatory problems
- JD and an active Bar membership and good standing
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $227,900 - USD $278,500
Zone C: USD $215,600 - USD $263,600
Zone D: USD $208,400 - USD $254,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.