Product Lead, Customers Platform
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
One of Square’s four major offerings is its “Customers” capability, which is a suite of customer-oriented business tools (learn more) with a shared mission of helping sellers grow via stronger customer relationships. The Customer Foundations product team provides the underlying Customers Platform as well as buyer and seller facing tools that underpin the Customers suite of products. This includes the Customer Directory CRM, the developer-facing Customers API and Customers Platform, and related buyer and seller tools like Digital Receipts, Square Profile, and more. Jointly, these solutions enable both the Customers suite of products as well as dozens of other Square ecosystem products like Square Appointments, Square Online, and Square Point of Sale to harness customer data in their product experiences.
As the Product Lead of the Customers Platform, you will be a part of the leadership team that drives the strategy and evolution of this growing suite of solutions and set of critical platform surfaces helping to power large swaths of the Square ecosystem. You will directly lead a group of accomplished product managers and partner with a broad group of cross-functional partners and stakeholders across the organization, including at a senior leadership level. You’ll bring strong platform product management and leadership skills to the team, as well as a consistent track record of shipping delightful platform- and data-oriented products throughout your career.
- Develop remarkable platform and product solutions to highly complex problems that enable Square and Square sellers to deliver differentiated and highly personalized customer experiences.
- Lead and coach a diverse team of strong product managers and help them do their best work across a wide range of complex product and platform problems.
- Help shape and continually improve the product development process as we continue to grow.
- Build a deep understanding and empathy for Square Sellers and their customers, as well as internal teams and developers at Square and outside Square building on the Customers platform.
- Work with your direct PM team, as well as cross-functionally with Design, Engineering, Product Marketing, and Data Science, to set the vision for our Customer Foundations platform and suite of solutions.
- Lead your team in defining and executing on a set of product strategies that enables the Customers suite of products and Square at large deliver on the mission of helping sellers grow via stronger customer relationships
- Represent the team and platform with cross-functional partners, senior company leaders, and key stakeholders across the company in order to influence and align resources and prioritization for strategic initiatives
- Foster an environment that enables the team to execute quickly while maintaining a high standard for quality, reliability, and remarkability.
- 8+ years of product management experience, and direct people management experience.
- 5+ years of experience working on platform products (data platform, API-driven products, etc.) or other highly technical, complex product domains.
- Problem Solving: Experience working and delivering on complex data and platform problems with high ambiguity and without a clear answer.
- Leadership: Experience managing, hiring, and growing a team of product managers.
- Collaboration: A track record of shipping and iterating on successful platform products that required partnering with and building consensus across multiple teams, organizations, and/or companies,
- Platform mindset: Proven experience applying and championing platform mindset and best practices; able to contribute to and influence highly technical decisions working with senior engineering partners.
- Technical: You have strong technical underpinnings, and are passionate about API development and building scalable, reusable platform solutions at tremendous scale and reliability.
- Communication: Ability to both operate and communicate at a strategic level and dive deep into the technical details and complexity with ease. You can readily communicate highly technical and complex topics to non-technical audiences.
- Execution: You’re scrappy, solution-oriented, and able to help the team push through obstacles and blockers to deliver value for our customers.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.