Head of Attribution Science
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Decision Science organization at Square helps our sellers and our business grow by empowering decision making with data. The team provides Square with a variety of critical information such as go-to-market channel attribution, investment ROI calculation, merchant value measurement, product behavior analytics, and funnel performance. We achieve this by building remarkable data infrastructure, best-in-class analytics, data science, and machine learning solutions.
We are looking for a senior Data Science leader with deep expertise in data driven attribution (just like you!) to lead efforts in building Square’s next generation attribution system. This system will be used by the executive leadership team to make strategic go-to-market investment decisions that will shape Square's future.
- Be our in-house expert in data driven attribution to fuel Square’s growth.
- Build from scratch a suite of data science and machine learning solutions that will make up the core of Square’s next generation attribution system.
- Partner with executive and senior management from Finance, Marketing, Sales and other go-to-market channels to refine our growth strategy and inform investment decisions with data.
- Partner with third-party data providers to close the data loop for full funnel attribution.
- Hire and develop a highly talented team of data scientists, data engineers, and machine learning engineers.
- Develop efficient processes to ensure the team operates with high velocity, ownership, and self-accountability.
- Deep expertise in statistical learning methods for go-to-market attribution and a track record of successfully building from the ground up end-to-end data driven attribution systems which may include algorithmic multi-touch attribution (MTA) and marketing mix models (MMM).
- 12+ years of data science and machine learning experience.
- 5+ years of experience in people management with a track record of building high-performance teams and growing talent.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with high-level stakeholders across areas such as Finance, Marketing and Sales.
- Strong ability to manage stakeholder relationships and foster cross-functional collaboration effectively.
- Outstanding communication skills, coupled with a proven aptitude for influencing and persuading key decision-makers.
- Solid understanding of the advertising and martech landscape, including future trends in the evolution of this space
- Experience working in tech or fintech companies
- Understanding of the B2B landscape
- An advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) in Statistics, Computer Science, Operations Research, or a related technical field
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.