Senior Software Engineer, Corporate Tooling
The Corp Tools Engineering team provides software applications for empowering Block employees to be their most productive and creative selves. CTE is a new team within the Corporate Engineering organization and we have two foci: One, develop self-serve interfaces to streamline common, high-friction, and labor intensive requests. Think, for example, about an IT Marketplace where employees can get self-serve access to hardware peripherals and SAAS applications or automating new laptop requests by directly integrating with a global network of vendors. The second is to build and maintain robust integrations with some of our business critical SAAS applications that power key aspects of Block’s business.
We are looking for a software engineer (just like you!) to contribute to our technical vision and develop these software tools. You will use your engineering experience to build the next-generation of software solutions that aim to remove points of friction, eliminate manual work, and grow our business.
We are a remote-first company, but hiring for this role in Melbourne, Victoria.
As a member of our team, you will:
- Build/evaluate new tools to meet our employees’ needs and reduce their toil.
- Undertake migrations to eliminate technical debt and remove common bottlenecks holding up internal teams
- Design, test, and construct software tools that support a global employee population.
- Help establish and analyze measurable metrics that validate end user satisfaction.
- Contribute to the team’s processes, long-term goals, and help prioritize a roadmap to make our services more reliable, scalable and secure.
- Collaborate with business, data, product and other engineering teams across Block to identify challenges, find alignment, and create solutions.
- Use metrics, customer interviews, pairing, surveys, and more to understand the daily friction points our employees face
- Identify bottlenecks in the employee productivity experience and automate/optimize employee workflows
- 5+ years of experience in software development, preferably in at least one of Ruby, Python, Go, Typescript
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience designing and building APIs.
- Experience in UI frameworks like React, Ember, Angular etc.
- Experience building and deploying applications in a cloud ecosystem, e.g. AWS, GCP.
- A desire to be directly responsible for the lifecycle of engineering solutions. This includes leading the design and implementation of projects and organizing the team to achieve a remarkable solution.
- A love of automation, abstracting complexities away from customers, and making things that “just work”
- A strong desire to see your work have direct impact on the business
- Experience leading impactful, public and internal facing software products that have successfully been delivered to customers.
- Strong verbal and nonverbal communication skills. You're adept at understanding complex technical concepts and helping teams make decisions to move forward as well as communicating those decisions up.
- Interest in working across multiple technical domains, including microservices, Lambdas, and CLIs.
- Interest in building new systems from the ground up as much as improving existing systems.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Python, Go, Ruby
- AWS, Terraform
- Datadog, Sentry, Prometheus, Hashi stack
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.