Editorial Strategist, Restaurant
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Content & Web team is an organic growth engine and a center of excellence for digital experiences and content strategy at Square. We are looking for an Editor/Editorial Strategist to play a critical role in fueling that engine, driving editorial strategy for the restaurant beat at Square. As a subject matter expert in topic areas such as restaurant and diner trends, restaurant business models including delivery, menu development, hiring and labor management, franchising, and front and back-of-house operations, you will oversee content strategy — from pitching, production, distribution, and measurement — across Square’s owned channels for the restaurant beat as part of our award winning content program.
This will include the hands-on production of blog articles, seller stories, white papers, e-books, infographics, etc. in addition to media content such as audio, interactive digital, video, etc. with the aim to maximize the value of restaurant content and storytelling throughout Square’s strategic content marketing campaigns, and to drive innovation in how the Content team brings these topics to life for our key audiences. You will also work with influencers, thought leaders, and partners on content programs.
This is a highly creative and cross-functional role that will collaborate with the Communications, Social, Organic Discovery, Lead Generation, Integrated Marketing, Product Marketing, Creative, Experiential, and Sales teams in addition to Square partners, vendors, creative and media agencies to create high-quality, engaging content that moves critical business metrics at all stages of the seller journey.
- Develop a restaurant content strategy that will inform the editorial calendar and ladder into a broader editorial plan and content strategy, working closely with team leads and other editors/strategists/specialists on full-funnel content marketing campaigns that support business, product, and audience goals.
- Develop and execute editorial strategies that support the use of Square for retail product solutions for QSRs and FSRs. You will also work closely with cross-functional partners on go-to-market planning from an editorial lens, accounting for feature releases/updates, product announcements/launches, product/market research, NPS and other audience measurement inputs, etc.
- Manage editorial production for The Bottom Line content hub and other owned, partner, and syndication channels for the restaurant beat, including working with a content marketing agency to coordinate day-to-day editorial operations (pitching, assigning, writing, editing), developing content with content marketing program writers, and utilizing licensed content in support of the restaurant content strategy.
- Produce original content such as blog articles, seller stories, white papers, e-books, and other editorial formats such as Q&As, listicles, how-tos, long-form features, quizzes, etc. that support restaurant content strategy goals.
- Research restaurant trends and news, collaborating with internal/external experts, industry influencers, content partners, 3rd party researchers, and other sources to craft relevant perspectives and insights that will fuel a regular cadence of highly informed and data-driven content.
- Consult and inform strategies for content distribution in partnership with Square’s owned channel strategists/specialists and stakeholders, including public web (squareup.com), social media, YouTube, email, print, etc.
- Work with the Organic Discovery team to drive organic search traffic and authority on the Town Square content hub for restaurant topics, related product solutions, and keywords, utilizing keyword research for content optimization and topic/headline ideation.
- Generate content performance reports and insights, utilizing Google Analytics and internal tools to track trends and key results, and to inform ongoing content strategy.
- Seek out fresh editorial perspectives and opportunities that can drive innovation and experimentation within the restaurant content strategy — from format to creative, to partnering with other teams at Square to forging new content partnerships — to fuel a best-in-class editorial program.
- 5+ years of post-university work experience and a BA/BS in a related field such as journalism, marketing, or communications
- Experience as a journalist or as a content marketer
- Top notch, demonstrated writing and editing skills across a variety of content types and formats
- Experience with content and editorial production (creating briefs, managing editorial calendar/deadlines, handling feedback, project management, etc.)
- Ability to develop content and editorial strategies
- A solid understanding of content distribution/marketing channel best practices (social media, email, paid ads, SEO, etc.)
- Knowledge of content measurement and reporting metrics
- A creative approach to editorial
- An energetic and willing attitude
- A love of B2B marketing
- Experience working in a global and/or matrixed organization
- Experience working at a financial institution or fintech company in a content marketing or editorial role
- Experience writing for restaurant industry publications, or for SaaS clients
- Experience in driving business or product metrics
- Experience in other types of marketing, such as demand generation, lead generation, enterprise marketing, growth marketing, etc.
- SEO expertise
- Photoshop or other graphic design skills
- Video production experience
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $138,200 - USD $169,000
Zone B: USD $128,500 - USD $157,100
Zone C: USD $121,700 - USD $148,700
Zone D: USD $110,600 - USD $135,200
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.