Embedded Software Engineer, Payments
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
As a software engineer on the Payments team, you will develop the Payments Platform services and infrastructure that securely move money for Square. You will be involved in the technical details of building available and reliable services, while also working with product teams to allow Square to build new capabilities for our merchants and buyers all over the world.
- Work with engineering, product, and other partners to build software that is clean
- Develop modern APIs that integrate different surfaces with server backends
- Promote engineering of well-designed, reusable and secure systems to improve payment acceptance and secure Square customers
- Promote engineering best practices and help define technical roadmap for the team
- Focus on delivering fault tolerant systems that allow teams to move quickly without negatively affecting our customers
- Raise awareness and promote adoption of new authentication mechanism within Square and beyond
- Complete on-site responsibilities at the Toronto hardware lab as needed
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience in delivery of high-scale software solutions
- Willingness to collaborate and grow as an engineer
- Expertise in C and Python development
- Experience with EMV Specifications, Credit/Debit Chip Specifications
- Experience working building software for payment terminals
- Experience working in payments industry
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.