Head of Payments, Commerce Platform
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Payments team is a core pillar of Square’s Commerce Platform, delivering a flexible platform which can be used by developers to extend the Square ecosystem. Square’s Payments team provides payment facilitation and money movement services for the Square ecosystem, enabling Square sellers to accept payments and engage in omnichannel commerce. The Payments team prioritizes systems which are reliable and high scale systems, cost efficient, and extensible - especially with an eye to support emerging markets and geographies.
We are looking for a Director-level engineering focused leader to lead our Payments organization. This is a manager of managers position with end to end ownership of our Payments platform, including engineering, product, and ML. You will go deep to understand the needs of businesses of all sizes and ensure our platform is architected to help any seller run and grow their business. You will work with your team to create intuitive and extensible APIs for first and third-party developers. You will work with leaders across Square to ensure we’re delivering a cost effective, compliant, and flexible platform which supports the full breadth of diverse payments used to move money across the globe. This impactful and visible role requires a leader who can build a long-term vision for the space, drive execution, and establish credibility and influence across Square’s ecosystem of products. Sound like you? Read on.
- Guide long-term thinking and innovation in an ambiguous space, and promote your organization to support our business
- Work with your Head of Product as well as stakeholders to manage the balance of tech debt vs. strategic investment to achieve our goals over a multi-year roadmap
- Hire and develop your leaders and engineers, helping them grow and support the product and platform strategy
- Lead planning and resource allocation for the Payments organization
- Develop efficient processes, ensuring the team is operating with high velocity, ownership, and self-accountability.
- Cultivate an inclusive team culture focused on ownership, integrity, and a customer focus
- Report into the General Manager for Commerce Platform
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or related field
- 15+ years relevant software development and systems design experience
- 8+ years of experience as a Software Development Manager; 5+ years managing managers
- Experience as a multidisciplinary leader, leading or guiding the efforts of non-engineering teams.
- Experience leading large software services that have successfully been delivered to customers
- Excellent attention to detail and are highly organized and results-driven leader
- Experience working on user-facing products, Developer tooling or platform
- Excellent communication skills and can articulate a strategy in a concise manner to to ensure Stakeholders feel included, informed, and aligned on expectations
- (optional) Domain experience in Payments highly desired.
Technologies we use and teach:
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone B: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone C: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone D: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.