Product Counsel, Canada
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
We are looking for a thoughtful and strategic lawyer to advise our product teams that are expanding into new markets.
As Product Counsel, you'll have a broad range of responsibilities providing legal guidance on product development. You will partner with our product team to develop new technologies while managing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance. You may be called upon to negotiate complex commercial relationships that contribute to our products’ success. As we expand our offerings, your ideas and contributions will make an immediate impact.
You are highly motivated, organized, and creative. You may already have in house experience or you may be currently working at a law firm. You may have experience in a generalist role, or you may currently be a specialist that has the skills and desire to broaden your impact. You are curious, with a desire to understand underlying causes and motivations. You’re a lawyer, not a business person, but you have natural business instincts.
You are able to research and master complex legal topics and communicate them to non-lawyers in brief, clear language. You are capable of an expert understanding of a legal issue but can separate the practical from the academic and provide clear, accurate, and actionable advice to the business team. You can markup a complex commercial contract, draft terms of service, manage a conversation with a regulator, and draft a memo on the legal aspects of a new product feature. You are good-humored, patient, respectful to your co-workers, and bring a positive attitude to our team.
- Provide guidance to product and engineering teams on issues related to all products and features throughout the entire product development lifecycle
- Advise on existing products entering the Canadian market
- Draft terms of service and commercial agreements related to our products and services
- Develop trusted relationships with business partners and stay informed on key product developments
- Work closely with other support teams (tax, compliance, accounting, outside counsel) to provide seamless support to business partners
- Actively cultivate creative ideas and insights into how legal frameworks can support new product developments and customer experiences
Your Qualifications and Experience:
- 4+ years of relevant experience at a major law firm, governmental agency, and/or in-house experience at a payments or financial services company
- Experience advising on laws and regulations applicable to money services businesses, cross border remittances, banking, and/or the financial services industry
- Experience advising on Canadian consumer protection laws
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially in condensing complex legal topics into understandable and actionable guidance for non-lawyers
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop trusted professional relationships
- Desire to learn about new technologies, ideas, and legal issues, especially in the payments and fintech industry
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects, strong project management and organizational skills, work well in a fast-paced environment to meet deadlines
- High emotional intelligence and a positive attitude
- Intelligent and enthusiastic self starter
- Actively licensed to practice law in Canada
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.