Product Marketing Manager, Merchant, Cash App & Afterpay
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Merchant Product Marketing team is responsible for product positioning, channel strategy and go-to-market coordination across Cash App and Afterpay’s B2B lines of business. We work closely with Product, Sales, Account Management and Partnership teams to craft and launch go-to-market campaigns targeted at SMB, mid-market and enterprise merchants.
As a Product Marketing Manager, you will drive the merchant-facing marketing vision for payments products across Cash App Pay and Afterpay. You will define our target audience, core product positioning, messaging, and go-to-market campaigns. As the marketing owner, you will also identify new opportunities and launch strategic programs tailored to drive product awareness and adoption. You will advocate for our merchants and partner closely with the Product, Sales, Account Management and Partnerships teams to strengthen the value proposition of our commerce products. To be successful, you’ll forge and model strong partnerships across Product, Sales, Partnerships, Data & Analytics, Consumer Product Marketing, Brand, and more.
As part of a small but rapidly growing team, you’ll have the opportunity to help build out the organization and establish the foundation of merchant product marketing at Cash App and Afterpay. As Cash App and Afterpay teams integrate, you’ll work cross-functionally to articulate a cohesive commerce narrative for our merchants using qualitative and quantitative techniques. You’ll also drive new product launch announcements and campaigns targeted toward both prospective and existing merchants.
The ideal candidate is resourceful, creative, and results-oriented with a clear mastery of both the art and the science of product marketing. You are as comfortable analyzing and interpreting data as you are crafting value-oriented positioning and resonant marketing messages.
As a Product Marketing Lead, you will:
- Develop and drive Cash App and Afterpay go-to-market strategies for key commerce products, defining goals, audience, positioning, messaging, and channel strategy.
- Lead merchant campaign development and coordination across partner teams, driving targeted strategies and messaging across segments and channels.
- Track product adoption, revenue, and market insights for commerce, and report progress with leadership, product and business partners.
- Influence Cash App and Afterpay’s commerce roadmap by championing key market insights and representing the product marketing perspective in product development.
- Regularly interface with executive leadership, product, sales and creative to gain buy-in on product marketing strategies.
- 5-8 years of experience in B2B product marketing at one or more fast-growing tech companies (fintech a strong plus).
- A strong track record of spearheading product launches and marketing campaigns that drove significant business growth.
- Highly collaborative leadership skills and a proven ability to influence and lead cross-functional teams to meet common goals and objectives.
- Strong business acumen and extensive experience with core analytical concepts like LTV and incrementality.
- Strong ability to use both qualitative and quantitative insights to set effective goals for the organization and develop compelling value props for merchants.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. This role demands a strong ability to use the spoken and written word to communicate effectively with all stakeholders.
- Comfort in operating in a highly entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and startup environment.
- Prior experience in the payments and/or digital/affiliate advertising space is a plus, but not a requirement
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $141,500 - USD $172,900
Zone C: USD $133,800 - USD $163,600
Zone D: USD $121,700 - USD $148,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.