Software Engineering Manager, Cash App Card
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
At Cash App, we strive to build the best consumer financial products in the world. The Cash App Card team aspires to make the Cash Card the primary card of choice by building delightful and differentiated end-to-end spending experiences for our customers. We start by offering Cash App’s only hardware to customers through a personally tailored way via card customization, which has steadily driven the adoption of Cash Card as our customers’ top-of-wallet spending devices.
As an engineering manager of the team, you will drive the team’s vision and roadmap alongside product managers and designers, while contributing and overseeing technical contributions to expand and continue to deliver innovative and differentiated Cash App Card experiences. As we build and ship new customer-facing features, you will have the opportunity to embrace and drive the evolution of the underlying architecture, systems and infrastructure that powers Cash App Cards to enable us to continue scaling this program to millions of customers. Ultimately, your work will directly influence the success of Cash App and our ability to impact the financial lives of millions of people across the world.
We believe engineering management is a craft worthy of mastery, and we’re looking for an engineering leader who shares our passion for building impactful teams, products, and businesses.
- Partner closely with product managers, designers, engineers, and business leads to define your team’s vision and roadmap
- Lead and participate in technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the organization
- Build products, systems, and services that have an immediate impact on our customers
- Personally author and contribute code to advance the Cash App Cards business alongside your team (5-10% of your time will be spent in code)
- Build an outstanding team by hiring exceptional talent, coaching and developing engineers, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar
- Foster ownership, inclusiveness, accountability, pragmatism, and urgency in the team
- Hold your teammates—and yourself—to high engineering standards
- Must be located within one of the following hubs: Bay Area, Seattle, or New York City
- 8+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- 2+ years experience directly managing engineers
- A history of healthy collaboration with product managers, engineers, and other engineering managers on developing roadmaps and executing against them
- Sound understanding and software development practices in microservice and API design, implementation and management
- Eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others
- Growth mindset and a healthy comfort with ambiguity
- Strong sense of ownership, accountability and autonomy
- Strong communication skills
- A focus on customer outcomes
- Experience and passion to foster the growth of other engineers
Technologies we use and teach (you don’t need to have experience using these):
- Java, Kotlin
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, Protocol Buffers
- OkHttp, Jetty, JUnit, Guice
- Hibernate, Aurora, MySQL, DynamoDB, Redis
- Kafka, event-driven architecture, microservices
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.