- Alternate Location: Melbourne, Australia
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible. This is our mission, and it’s why working at Cash App means so much more than a job.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
We are looking for an experienced commercial contracts attorney to join our growing Cash App Legal Team. You will manage a large volume of partnership agreements, supporting our business development team, in addition to managing the review of inbound/outbound contracts supporting the Cash App business. You will work on complex commercial agreements providing guidance on legal issues for new products that serve the unserved and underbanked, and manage the contracts process through review, negotiation and signing. You will report directly to the Head of Commercial Legal for Cash App.
Core Competencies include: commercial counsel experience, contract negotiation, creative problem-solving skills, and project management experience.
This position can sit in any Cash App office in Australia or be full-time remote from any state in Australia.
- Draft, negotiate, and structure commercial agreements including partnership agreements, vendor, API, marketing, payments and technology licensing agreements, bank partnerships, card network agreements, consulting, non-disclosure, and other financial, commercial and technology related agreements
- Provide business-oriented advice by balancing risks and business reward
- Develop trusted relationships with business partners, and have excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially in condensing complex legal topics into understandable and actionable guidance for non-lawyers
- Work as part of the counsel team, supporting and collaborating with other teams on a variety of legal matters with specific emphasis on partnering across legal, risk and compliance to provide commercial support to executives and professionals in the Cash App and Afterpay organizations
- Develop, improve and draft templates and playbooks on various commercial deals and product related initiatives
- Manage and train internal business partners on commercial deal processes and contract management tools
- Qualified and admitted to practice in Australia with 6+ years PQE of commercial counsel experience, drafting and negotiation experience at financial institutions, payment companies, technology companies or law firms.
- Project management experience, and explaining contract requirements to business partners
- The ability to meet deliverables on time and work in an evolving and growing environment, and the ability to well manage change
- You’re a lawyer, not a business person, but you have natural business instincts
- Familiarity with Google Suite, MS Office, Docusign, and other contract management and legal department management tools
- You are good-humored, patient, respectful to your co-workers, and bring a positive attitude to our team
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.