Senior Software Engineer, SFS Bank Platform
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. Square Financial Services, Inc ("SFS") is Block’s bank. We opened in March 2021 and provide lending and FDIC insured deposits services to small businesses on a nationwide basis. Today, these services power the Square Loans and Square Savings products, and we’re creating new capabilities for the bank to unlock opportunities across the entire Block ecosystem. Come help us build a better bank!
The SFS Bank Platform team enables the bank with modern tooling and high-quality services. We're Square's gateway to the Federal Reserve, trusted partners to our Finance and Treasury team, and we create new capabilities for the bank to unlock opportunities across the entire Block ecosystem.
- Design and build new features into our banking platform that meet the diverse needs of Block’s broad portfolio of products and services
- Partner with engineering teams across Block to help onboard their products to SFS
- Build systems that operate on our customers' most sensitive data, while holding Square to the highest standards for security and compliance.
- Design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave and move fast, without ever negatively affecting our customers.
- Ensure the continued operation of our critical services, remediate any problems that occur, and design durable fixes so that they don’t happen again
- 5 or more years of relevant experience and a Bachelor's Degree.
- Hands-on skills building software products or services in the cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.)
- A track record of building software that is easy to observe and operate
- A strong sense of customer empathy and a drive to ship software that improves their lives
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. This is a remote-forward team.
- Proficiency building products and services using AWS
- Proficiency with Go
- Experience building public APIs
- Experience with serverless architecture
- Experience building tools for finance operations
Technologies we use and teach:
- Go, Terraform, Kotlin/Java, Ruby
- TypeScript, React, PhantomJS
- AWS Lambda, Fargate, ECS, and Step Functions
- AWS Athena, AWS OpenSearch (or ElasticSearch)
- Swagger, Protocol Buffers, gRPC, REST
- Unit Tests, Continuous Integration, and other methods of quality assurance
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.