Software Engineer, Cloud Security Risk and Insights
Block’s Information Security culture is focused on enabling our engineering teams to build and ship secure products. We achieve this by designing, building, and deploying state of the art security alongside our product and infrastructure teams.
The Cloud Security Risk and Insights team is responsible for discovering, tracking and enabling the business to remediate the biggest security risks we face across our usage of the cloud. We drive the creation of security policy and best practices. We measure and aggregate deviations from these policies. We develop capabilities to estimate security risk based on these signals and business context, and enable product teams to resolve the most important issues first. This team’s work drives our cloud security strategy, and is the view Block uses to measure progress in our cloud security posture over time.
As an engineering team, we rely on automation to achieve these goals. We’re looking for someone with experience building software in the cloud and a desire to grow their careers into cloud security.
- Build the security components of the next phase of Block’s cloud, shaping how we use it for years to come.
- Deliver key cloud security assurance functions, balancing the need to remediate important issues with being responsible stewards of our developers’ time.
- Build automation to help us discover, measure and contextualize security issues.
- Partner with platform teams to deliver solutions that permanently solve entire categories of security risk.
- Be responsible for producing quality software that stands the test of time.
- Work remotely or in any Canadian Block office.
- 2+ years of software engineering experience in a scripting language, preferably Python
- Familiarity developing software for cloud native or serverless platforms (AWS Lambda, CodeBuild, Kubernetes)
- Strong desire to grow your career into cloud security
- Experience using infrastructure as code tools like Terraform or CloudFormation
Concepts and technologies we use and teach:
- AWS, GCP and their suite of security services (CloudTrail,, IAM, Security Command Center)
- Measuring and managing cloud security risks
- IaC Security: Terraform, Checkov
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.