Staff Software Security Engineer, Infrastructure
The Block Security team works with other teams at Block to build world-class products for both customers and employees. Our ultimate goal is to ensure that every single experience with Block is simple, secure, and safe.
Block’s Cryptographic Identity engineering team is responsible for some of the company’s most critical systems. We help protect our customers’ most sensitive data by defining, creating, and distributing secure, verifiable credentials for all entities within Block.
- Design, implement, and maintain security-oriented software that makes it easier for non-security engineers to build secure products.
- Own the delivery and success of critical identity and PKI services and infrastructure.
- Lead large cross organizational projects building identity primitives that engineering teams across the company can leverage to enable secure communication between services and platforms
- Collaborate with many teams and functions across Block to make technical, design, strategy, and product decisions.
- Act as an internal security subject matter expert, advocating for better security practices throughout Block.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to level up your teammates.
- Work in any Block office location, or work remotely in the USA or Canada
- 10+ years of experience as a software and/or security engineer.
- Demonstrated success at delivering complex, cross organizational projects with broad company impact.
- Experience designing, implementing, deploying, and monitoring complex, highly-available, critical production systems.
- Experience with applied cryptography, securing cloud platforms, or identity and authorization systems.
- A high bar for writing scalable, robust, and testable code.
- A strong desire to perform and grow as a security engineer and educate other engineers.
Some of the technologies and platforms we use and teach:
- Go, Rust, Java
- AWS, GCP, datacenter
- Service Mesh, Envoy
- AWS Lambda, Fargate, Kubernetes, Docker
We’re active contributors to open-source! Some of the projects we developed or maintain include:
- Certigo: A utility to examine and validate certificates in a variety of formats.
- Certstrap: Tools to bootstrap CAs, certificate requests, and signed certificates.
- Sharkey: a service for managing certificates for use by OpenSSH.
- Ghostunnel: TLS proxy with mutual authentication for securing non-TLS services.
- Go JOSE: An implementation of JOSE standards (JWE, JWS, JWT) in Go
- Keywhiz: a secrets distribution service and its client Keysync.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $296,600 - USD $362,500
Zone B: USD $296,600 - USD $362,500
Zone C: USD $296,600 - USD $362,500
Zone D: USD $296,600 - USD $362,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.