Principal Software Engineer, Financial Platform
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
Cash App’s Financial Platform team is responsible for building systems that power products built by Cash App. We build deep integrations with underlying financial infrastructures and ensure that our products are able to scale.
About the Card Payment Rails team that is hiring on Financial Platform:
The Card Payment Rails team owns the processing of every debit / credit card payment across all our card networks. We are building the payment processor that abstracts the complex domain-specific card networks operations into simple to use, highly scalable, reliable, and low latency APIs that power all card transactions across Cash App products. Our domain knowledge is deep in the card processing stack, and as a platform team, we want to deliver the best success rate for card transactions with the least cost and the most coverage to enable as many clients to use cards for transactions. Not only do we process transactions that withdraw money from a card, but we also use technologies that enable us to instantly push funds into clients’ cards and deliver on Cash App’s mission to make money instantly available and universally accessible.
- Lead the design, creation, and scaling of core systems used to power all transactions on Cash App
- Be actively involved in setting strategic direction and implementing an expanding roadmap
- Break existing monoliths into event-driven microservices
- Creatively solve challenging technical problems at scale
- Partner closely with product managers, data scientists, product engineers, and business leads to define our roadmap
- Have autonomy to research and achieve outcomes with support when you need it
- Contributing to the growth of our development capabilities through leading, mentoring and supporting fellow engineers
- 12+ years of experience delivering quality software
- Natural curiosity to learn new technologies, solve interesting problems and build quality software
- Desire to find flaws in a system with many moving parts and take whatever steps are necessary to fix them
- Desire to perform and grow as an engineer
- Technical initiative and leadership on previous projects
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin, Go
- Kubernetes, AWS
- Jaeger, Prometheus, SignalFx
- Hibernate, Guice, GRPC
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.