Head of Credit Policy
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square, Inc. is looking for a Head of Credit Policy to join our Merchant Risk team. This role will report directly to our Global Head of Credit Policy and Operations, and will be responsible for policy and strategy for managing chargeback risk and seller experience across our seller portfolio - from our smallest merchants to our largest enterprise accounts. You will lead a team of Policy Analysts and Program Managers responsible for creating and executing on a roadmap to safely enable seller growth, including building and documenting workflows, testing and implementing new risk controls, creating and refining decisioning and governance frameworks, and building strong feedback loops with our Operations teams. Successful candidates will possess expertise in credit fundamentals (e.g. financial statement and business risk analysis, scorecard development, portfolio management), strong program management skills, and experience leading high-performing teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Oversee the creation and execution of our Credit Policy roadmap impacting multiple operational teams across markets, seller segments, and payment products (including Afterpay)
- Lead a team of experienced program managers and policy analysts
- Partner with key stakeholders across Square to prepare for new product launches and identify emerging threats which could impact our portfolio
- Ensure our team’s ability to meet business objectives through staffing and organizational design
- Work with Operational Leads to build feedback loops (e.g. QA/QC) and identify areas of opportunity
- Work with Product, Data Science/Analytics, and Engineering to inform tooling and feature requests
- Help define, implement, and monitor key operational metrics to measure effectiveness and efficiency
- Represent Square Credit Risk function to internal and external stakeholders, including auditors and examiners
- 10+ years experience in credit underwriting, operations or project management, preferably in commercial lending or fintech/payment processing
- Strong understanding of commercial credit and underwriting
- Well-versed in a variety of credit risk management techniques, including risk grading methodologies and controls
- Excellent project and program management skills - able to scope and execute key cross-functional initiatives
- Prior experience leading team planning, goal-setting, and execution in areas such as operations, program management, or analytics
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills and an ability to synthesize information and make clear, concise recommendations and influence others
- Demonstrated ability to build and nurture relationships with cross-functional partners to drive change
- A creative and strategic mindset, with a bias towards action and innovative solutions
- People management experience, including managing managers
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $155,600 - USD $190,200
Zone C: USD $147,200 - USD $180,000
Zone D: USD $138,900 - USD $169,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.