Senior Software Engineer - Bitcoin
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible. This is our mission, and it’s why working at Cash App means so much more than a job.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
The Cash App Bitcoin team is responsible for building, maintaining, and growing Cash App’s blockchain-based financial services, with the mission of empowering individuals across the world through access to Bitcoin and other digital assets. We prioritize building meaningful financial services over speculation and put Bitcoin at the heart of our crypto innovation strategy.
As an engineer on the Bitcoin Network team you will design, build, and evolve the on-chain, lightning network, p2p, and international infrastructure that enables our customers to trade Bitcoin and other digital assets and then transfer it across the Cash App network and external protocols..
- Build and operate services at scale as CashApp expands globally and the uptake in Cryptocurrencies increases
- Own functionality throughout their entire lifecycle. The opportunity to scope, design, engineer, rollout, test and support features delivered to millions of customers
- Build Kotlin APIs and services used by apps and other microservices
- Operationalise and support services we own during oncall and pager
- Work across different time zones and cultures to achieve a common objective
- Work in a highly collaborative environment that offers flexibility and autonomy so that you can perform to the best of your abilities
- Help bank the unbanked and serve the financially underserved across the whole globe!
- 5+ years of software development experience
- A passion or desire to learn more about the fascinating world of crypto and Bitcoin
- Experience or interest in learning more about functional programming
- Taken technical initiative and led projects across multiple teams and disciplines in your previous projects
- Able to work in ambiguous environments and work autonomously
- A history of healthy collaboration with product managers, engineers, and other stakeholders
- A sense of humour and a sustainable work life balance philosophy
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin, Java
- Kubernetes, AWS
- Functional programming, Arrow, Property Based Testing
- MySQL, DynamoDB
- JUnit, JOOQ, Hibernate, Guice, Armeria
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- Kafka, event driven systems
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Sentry, Datadog
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.