Staff Machine Learning Modeler, Financial Crimes
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
The Financial Crimes Technology team at Cash App detects and reports criminal and suspicious activity on Cash App. We work globally with partners in Engineering, Counsel and Product to guarantee we are providing a safe user experience for our customers while minimizing or eliminating bad activity on our platform.
We are leveraging Machine Learning as an integral part of our toolkit to fulfill our mission. As Cash App scales, we are monitoring hundreds of billions of dollars in transactions across traditional payment and blockchain networks. We uncover and put an end to money laundering, fraud, and illegal activities before they impact our users. Additionally, we improve workflow and case tools, adding features that empower agent productivity and automate the high volume of monitoring.
This is an IC role, but with significant leadership responsibilities that include owning, and driving strategic roadmaps & priorities to completion by collaborating with cross functional stakeholders.
- Facilitate CashApp’s global expansion by developing ML models to assess onboarding and ongoing risk and satisfying our Know Your Customer (KYC) requirements
- Build classification models to detect unauthorized use of the app across the peer-to-peer, banking, card, equities and bitcoin products
- Work with Machine Learning Engineers to deploy models to the production environment and monitor ongoing performance
- Leverage large connection graphs of payment transactions, device links and contact books using advanced Graph Embeddings & Networks to detect suspicious activity and drive down false positives
- Use Python DS stack, Pytorch, Snowflake, Airflow based tools, and cloud services (both GCP & AWS) to get the job done
- 6+ years of Machine Learning and Software Engineering experience
- A graduate degree in computer science, data science, operations research, applied math, stats, physics, or a related technical field
- End to end experience of building and deploying ML to production systems that are performant at scale
- Experience of independently owning, influencing and driving programs with multiple cross functional stakeholders (eg. Engineering, Product, and Country leads) that have significant business impact
- Have a curious, growth-oriented mindset and the ability to think in first principles to identify creative solutions that demonstrate value
- Experience with advanced ML techniques like large language models, embeddings, sequence modeling, and graph convolutional networks is a plus
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.