Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Square HR Specialist team plays an important role in ensuring effective HR management of key people programs and lifecycle activities for employees across Square. Our goal is to ensure flawless execution across cyclical programs, and deliver a great employee experience across day-to-day HR activities for Squares.
We are looking for an HR Specialist to provide support for Square. In this role, you will partner closely with HRBPs and other cross-functional partners to drive HR programs and initiatives to completion. You will be on the frontline collaborating with cross-functional partners to oversee and deploy projects both within specific business units and functions. Success in this role means helping the business turn ideas into reality and effectively coordinating and delivering impactful People programs to drive employee engagement. You will also help innovate and improve these programs as we continue to scale.
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated team player with a strong sense of ownership and a "get things done" attitude. You’re effective at managing multiple projects at once, very detail-oriented and organized, like to be busy and productive, learn quickly, and have a track record of being adaptable in a fluid, high-growth environment.
- Partner closely with HRBPs to provide support to employees and leaders in the business and resolve roadblocks to help set employees up for success.
- Escalate concerns outside of your scope from employees and leads to ensure they are connected to the appropriate resources they need throughout their time at Square.
- Collaborate with HR Business Partners on the delivery of local and/or global project work in support of their client groups including team reorganizations, talent reviews, team-building exercises, M&A work, and policy design.
- Provide insights partnership to HR Business Partners preparing and analyzing surveys and reports.
- Coordinate and facilitate training and onboarding for new and existing employees.
- Execute both administrative and project-based work to support the cyclical HR programs, such as the annual performance review cycle, bi-annual promotion cycle, and company-wide pulse survey.
- Build and maintain a highly effective and collaborative partnership with cross-functional teams, both locally and globally, such as HR Operations, Learning & Programs, People Analytics, Office Experience, Compensation, Benefits, Talent, IT, and Security.
- Review HR processes and suggest changes to improve efficiency, scalability, and employee experience.
- Complete regular audits and other necessary administrative responsibilities as needed.
- 3-5 years of experience in HR, operational, project management, and/or program management
- Works independently in a distributed setting to manage multiple ongoing projects and programs, paying acute attention to detail and organizational skills
- Possesses a solid understanding of US employment practices and labor law
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize and adapt in a fast-paced environment with changing demands
- Exhibits strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a successful track record of implementing processes that scale. Proficient at anticipating potential problems, offering intelligent solutions, and ensuring smooth operations by maintaining organization and attention to detail.
- Displays excellent communication skills (written, verbal, presentation, and interpersonal), with the ability to build partnerships and establish rapport and credibility at all levels
- Skilled at building strong relationships and has the ability to productively challenge and influence other individuals and teams.
- Demonstrates a solution-focused approach to problem-solving, with the ability to find pragmatic outcomes
- Exercises sound judgment when handling confidential information and adheres to strict ethical standards. Evaluates risks and benefits carefully when faced with challenging situations.
- Proficient in tools such as Google Sheets, Visier, formulas, pivot tables, and other analytical resources to summarize data and provide recommendations.
- Experience working with HR systems (e.g. Workday, Visier, Glint)
- People operations and/or generalist experience
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $103,900 - USD $126,900
Zone B: USD $96,600 - USD $118,000
Zone C: USD $88,300 - USD $107,900
Zone D: USD $77,900 - USD $95,300
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.