Staff Business Intelligence Engineer, Compliance Engineering & Technology
The Compliance Engineering and Technology team finds and reports financial crimes activity across Block. We work globally with partners in business, engineering, counsel, and product to provide a safe user experience for our customers while minimizing and potentially eliminating bad activity on our platform.
You will report to the Compliance Business Intelligence and Data Engineering Lead. As a Business Intelligence Engineer you will handle everything from data architecture and modeling to data pipeline tooling and dashboarding. You will enable other compliance teams to make impactful business decisions by laying the foundation for analyzing our large and unique datasets that span across multiple products. You will build, curate, document, and manage key datasets and ETLs to increase the impact of the entire team.
- Work with engineering and product teams to design and build ETL pipelines to unblock new product launches and improve existing systems.
- Design and operationalize monitoring queues that detect suspicious activity across different Cash App, Square, and Afterpay products.
- Create brand new and optimize existing data models on top of data including but not limited to eventing, customer level, and process level data.
- Build metrics dashboards that support compliance operations teams and demonstrate health of the queueing infrastructure and data quality.
- Work with non-technical partners and product teams to understand their needs, translate business requirements into applicable data requirements, and come up with automated end-to-end solutions.
- Standardize business and product metric definitions in curated and optimized datasets, and develop data dictionaries and other related documentation.
- Teach (and encourage) others to self-serve while building tools that make it simpler and faster for them to do so.
- Background/knowledge in Computer Science, Applied Math, Engineering, Stats, Physics, or a something comparable
- 8+ years of related experience; or 6+ years and a Master's degree; or equivalent work experience.
- Ability to design, develop and manage scalable ETL pipelines.
- High proficiency in SQL (Snowflake, BigQuery, MySQL or similar) and one or more data visualization tools like Looker or Tableau; Airflow, Github, Python familiarity is a plus.
- Proficiency in Python is a big plus.
- Familiarity with schema design, query optimization, and data pipeline maintenance.
- Experience with setting up data quality and data lineage monitoring, and systems health monitoring is a big plus.
- Experience with financial crimes compliance systems, technologies and processes, especially AML transaction monitoring typologies and rules is a big plus.
- An interest in advancing Block's vision of building products for economic empowerment.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $184,100 - USD $225,000
Zone B: USD $174,900 - USD $213,700
Zone C: USD $165,700 - USD $202,500
Zone D: USD $156,400 - USD $191,200
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.