Staff Software Engineer, Core Developer Experience
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
We're looking for a Technical Lead to scale our codebase and lead the effort to transition Afterpay to a microservices environment. This role would be the first Engineer on a brand new team being formed to improve the experience of working on Afterpay’s Core codebase. You will work closely with the team’s manager and collaborate with all other Engineering teams that contribute to the Core monolith.
You will drive and lead initiatives to identify areas of improvement within the codebase, working across many Engineering teams to collectively get others on board. You will work with Engineers to design solutions that touch multiple areas of the codebase and help establish clear lines of ownership within the team as we break up the monolith.
- Identify pain-points in the existing system and partner with other engineers to design and implement solutions for them
- Build relationships with other teams who work on the monolith to solve cross-team problems
- Mentor and guide the team in designing and implementing their improvements
- Lead and facilitate the breakdown of the monolith into domain-specific services
- Partner with our Core Initiatives Lead to establish project milestones and prioritise initiatives
- Better the daily experience of 100s of other engineers
- 8+ years of backend software development experience
- 2+ years of experience working within monolithic Java applications
- Experience with building service-oriented architecture
- A collaborative approach to working across different teams and Engineering partners
- Experience with and an understanding of how to successfully work on complex projects, breaking down the work into components and milestones that can easily be picked up by other engineers
- Experience and/or passion for improving legacy systems
- Experience working with distributed systems
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java is the language of the monolith
- MySQL is the database layer
- Kafka is used for events
- Kubernetes is the platform it runs on
- Buildkite is the CI/CD tool we use
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.