Finance & Strategy Manager, Square Product P&Ls
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Finance & Strategy improves strategic, financial and operational decision-making across the company. Our team’s core value is trust – we build it by making what is complex simple, and with analysis that is accurate and easy-to-understand. Business partners appreciate our insight and trust us to help them solve difficult problems across the company. At Block we believe that good ideas can come from anywhere, and we’ll trust you to collaborate with others, form intelligent opinions, and present your thoughts to decision-makers and the executive team.
We are looking for a Finance & Strategy manager comfortable in a high visibility role that is a necessary member of the Square Corporate F&S team supporting our Product P&Ls. You will further expand varying processes within our Product P&Ls and provide expertise with business guidance needed to plan the future of our reporting. Activities span across setting up a structured process, implementing business changes that require P&L updates, to brainstorming and creating improvements to our underlying model. You will have experience working on many-sided transformation projects within an FP&A organization including:
Business Process Management
Strong modeling skills
Familiarity with cost allocations and profitability measurement (Indicators)
Management Reporting & Analytics
Project and change management
This role requires significant collaboration with key finance operations responsibilities (Finance & Strategy, Business Intelligence, Product Teams to GMs) to create excellence in our P&L reporting and provide tangible insights into business performance.
You will have an understanding of financial planning and reporting processes, best practices and the latest applications of related technologies. You will be collaborative with cross functional partners, with the expectation that you will be a necessary partner at the intersection of finance and technology.
This position can sit in any US Block office or be full-time remote.
- Build important relationships across F&S and other functional organizations across Block
- Deliver status updates of ongoing Product P&L programs, including new developments and potential risks, promptly to all partners involved
- Lead the standardization of processes
- Deliver communications on company-wide best practices to create efficiencies for both finance team members and business partners
- Help prepare analysis and reporting, supporting inbound questions when clarification is needed
- Guide F&S transformation programs including P&L reporting, management analytics & dashboards
- Promote the deployment and adoption of new tools and capabilities within F&S
- Build trust through numerically-driven insights
- 5+ years of strategy and finance experience in corporate finance/FP&A, management consulting or high-growth technology. Experience building partnerships in a FinTech, Payments or SaaS company
- Experience with finance and economics, with experience advising executives on decisions related to balancing growth and profitability
- Excellent financial modeling skills using Excel (can perform complex functions)/Google Sheets
- Distinctive strategic problem-solving capabilities
- Experience partnering with Business Intelligence, even better if you have implemented Looker / Tableau programs.
- High level of comfort operating in an open-ended environment with an evolving product suite that operates at scale globally
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $141,500 - USD $172,900
Zone C: USD $133,800 - USD $163,600
Zone D: USD $121,700 - USD $148,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.