Human Resources Business Partner, Foundational Engineering
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Foundational Engineering— provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Our HR Business Partners (HRBP) support specific teams, working closely with management and employees on people-related issues: talent management, employee relations, coaching/development, compensation, conflict and performance management, organizational development, and more. HRBPs are instrumental in initiating and driving HR programs and initiatives within specific functions.
We’re looking for an HRBP to drive people and business initiatives across Foundational Engineering teams. The ideal candidate is one who is interested in making a significant impact in one of the most valued and visible groups in the company and excels in a fast-paced, high engagement environment with extraordinary desire to innovate. You will be on the front line working closely with business leaders to be able to provide hands-on and strategic input, insight, and advice with respect to employee relations, performance management, coaching/development, compensation, conflict management, organizational development, training and more. You’re comfortable speaking up and driving initiatives forward despite any unexpected roadblocks. You will report into an HRBP Lead.
- Partner with mid-level managers and senior leaders to develop and implement effective HR policies and practices that will support the strategic growth of the business
- Provide HR expertise in the areas of compensation, feedback, performance management, employee relations, development and coaching, and organizational development
- Offer thought leadership regarding organizational and people-related strategy and execution
- Collaborate with the People team to champion and accelerate a culture of excellence in which people feel engaged and inspired to deliver top business results
- Develop people strategies and design approaches for diagnosing and enhancing organizational effectiveness and employee satisfaction
- Lead core HR processes (eg, performance calibration, compensation cycle, promotions)
- Analyze and interpret various types of employee reports (eg, compensation, job levels, and attrition) to guide decision making and provide proactive solutions to client groups
- Partner with HRBP and Learning & Programs colleagues to work on value-added programs in areas of training, development, career mobility and job performance
- Minimum 5 years experience in an HR Generalist or HR Business Partner role, with a minimum of 2 years as an HR Business Partner
- Relevant experience building and improving company culture and increasing employee engagement, and expertise in performance management
- Superb communication skills, including effective facilitation, listening and writing
- Ability to express thoughts in a clear and concise manner
- Demonstrated analytical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills
- Effective coaching skills, strong business acumen, and ability to influence colleagues at all levels of the organization
- Knowledge of HR programs and practices, including applicable state and federal employment laws and regulations
- Experience supporting engineering organizations or adjacent technical teams
- Track record of strategic partnering with business leaders on multi-year company or org-wide people initiatives or projects
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $125,600 - USD $153,600
Zone B: USD $116,800 - USD $142,800
Zone C: USD $110,500 - USD $135,100
Zone D: USD $100,500 - USD $122,900
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.