Customer Support Specialist (Bitkey)
We're building a bitcoin self-custody wallet for the next 100M bitcoin users. Bitkey is a self-custody wallet with three parts — a mobile app, hardware device, and set of recovery tools.
We are solving two important customer problems that we think exist with the current bitcoin wallets on the market today: customers who hold their bitcoin on exchanges or custodial wallets don’t control the access to their bitcoin, which puts their money at risk if something goes wrong. And customers using today’s self-custody wallets rely on a complex multi-word password called a seed phrase — if they lose their wallet and their seed phrase, they lose access to their money.
Bitkey is different. We’re building a safe, easy self-custody wallet for anyone to use. It has the convenience of an app, security of hardware, and recovery tools without the stress of a seed phrase — for peace of mind that if something goes wrong you can still recover your money. You can learn more about what we’re building through our newsletter here.
Our goal is economic empowerment -- starting with bringing easy-to-use, reliable wallet that helps people around the world own and manage their bitcoin, rather than having to rely on tools and services that don’t work well together and are challenging to use for a wide global audience. We want to make the future of money intuitive, and safe while helping customers build a better financial future.
We're assembling a team experienced in an extremely wide range of disciplines, and we’re looking for a stand-out Customer Support (CS) Specialist to join our Customer Support team and help us build the future of money! As the first CS Specialist you will work with customers, answering their inquiries and providing them with a delightful customer experience. Given the early stage of this team, you’ll have plenty of opportunity to help build and shape the offering from the ground up.
This role can be based anywhere remotely in the US, UK, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, among other countries, and reports into the Bitkey Sr. Customer Operations Lead in the SF Bay Area. If you prefer an office environment, we have team-members working in offices in New York, and London, and offices in other cities including St. Louis, Salt Lake City, Atlanta and other locations.
- Respond to inbound customer inquiries – these may span from general product inquiries to more complex inquiries where an immediate answer is not available and may require further research
- Research and escalate customer inquiries where a response is not readily available, or that differs from the intended product experience
- Follow up on open inquiries if an immediate response/solution is not possible
- Become an expert on Bitkey, how the product works especially in context of the fundamentals of bitcoin
- Demonstrate a passion for customer service, take ownership of the customer experience and deliver a comprehensive resolution that exceeds customer expectations
- Communicate clearly and effectively, a variety of information to internal teams and external customers with the ability to tailor your communication and style based on the audience
- Identify themes and trends in customer contacts and communicate it to the appropriate team to improve the customer and/or the agent experience; help us understand the severity and importance of issues impacting customers by using data when possible
- Improve the CS process and experience – Identify gaps in and suggest ways to improve CS tools, processes and documentation
- Perform a variety of special projects, such as write customer and agent facing content (through Zendesk Help Center), setup & manage agent workflows (within Zendesk), monitor KPIs, and build out tooling, to name a few.
- Remain focused and driven in a fast-paced, highly ambiguous environment
- Work with customers and team members across the globe - a cultural awareness and excitement for learning about differences in customer expectations and communications norms are a must for this role.
- Willingness to work flexible hours as part of a rotating schedule, which includes a mix of weekends, mornings, evenings, overnight, and holidays
- 1 - 2 years of experience as a Customer Care Representative or Customer Support Agent (past experience in a financial services, payments, crypto, tech, or a consumer-centric setting is a big plus)
- Excellent time-management skills; must be able to remain focused on helping (multiple) customers across various levels of severity and urgency, while also juggling other internal projects and deadlines
- Genuine curiosity about people, technology and business, and enjoy using your problem solving skills to dig in and learn more
- Empathetic to your customers – have a strong desire to help, and are passionate about creating the best customer experience possible
- Collaborative steward for CS who can consistently advocate for our customers
- Work collaboratively and effectively with cross functional teams and different levels of management
- Efficient and organized; you pay attention to detail, don’t let things slip through the cracks and you’re always finding ways to improve and make things better
- Ability to acknowledge and respect confidential information
- Comfortable with ambiguity and adaptable to change
- Experience working in / across numerous geographies and cultural contexts
- Fluency in written and spoken English, plus ideally a second language of Spanish or Portuguese
- Previous experience with Zendesk, or a similar tool (eg Freshdesk, Zoho, Salesforce)
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on the candidate's work location and may be may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $30.67
Zone B: USD $28.50
Zone C: USD $24.83
Zone D: USD $22.99
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.