Associate Visual Designer, Social/Brand Content
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square is looking for a visual designer to join our award-winning Creative team. As a visual designer, you’ll collaborate to create smart and creative solutions that help tell Square’s story and educate merchants about how they can run and grow their business with Square. You’ll create concept-driven designs that can stretch across several project types and channels: marketing campaigns, web, social, email, experiential, broadcast, and print. You will work especially on social-first content series and platforms, so an interest in culture, journalism, and editorial content is important.
You will work on a team that originates new and substantive concepts across some of our most visible projects to raise awareness of Square’s brand. Our team exists to tell the best possible stories of our brand, products, and ecosystem, so that our sellers can empower their businesses to excel and grow. You will report to the Creative Director, Brand Content.
This position is remote-friendly (based in Canada).
- Design digital and print communications for a brand platform where ideas can work globally and scale locally
- Work with Art Directors and Writers to translate business and marketing strategies into scalable creative campaign concepts
- Develop beautiful, thoughtful, and engaging visual treatments and campaign identities for our global brand marketing programs
- Have a collaborative and communicative design process, from concepting and mood-boarding through visual execution
- Work collaboratively on projects to create concepts/mood-boards, graphic elements/solutions, identities, and visual treatments
- Contribute and communicate with a team that includes designers, producers, product strategists, copywriters and engineers
- Provide constructive feedback to design and writing peers on the team
- Create video and motion graphics style frames, exhibition graphics, print collateral, presentation designs, information graphics, branding and digital advertisements
- Support the creative needs of an editorial, content, and social marketing team
- Conduct independent creative research to inform design ideas
- 2-4 years of professional design experience, including internships
- A portfolio of relevant design work across several mediums
- Cultural literacy – an understanding of industry trends and today's creative landscape—how users engage with content, and trends within the marketing
- An editorial/journalistic mind. Interest in editorial concepting.
- Understanding of typography, composition, color, layout, design thinking, and content strategy with the ability to build different brands
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite and Figma
- Have a general understanding of design in motion
- Leverage and build upon brand and campaign systems
- Iterative design process
- An eye for cohesive visuals across fields like photography, illustration, and motion
Please submit a deck or portfolio of work with your application that showcases your design process from exploratory stages through execution. If your portfolio site requires a password, please provide us with it in your application or on your resume. Thank you!
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.