Kubernetes Engineering Manager, Platform Engineering
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Afterpay’s Platform Engineering is responsible for the build, deployment, monitoring and maintenance of the underlying cloud infrastructure that powers Afterpay’s platform. Our customers are the internal Afterpay product teams; our work enables them to focus on building new product features which leverage our highly available infrastructure platform. It is our objective to ensure product development teams can provision new services to the platform quickly, easily and safely.
This role is to become the engineering manager for the Kompute Kubernetes team, reporting to the Afterpay Platform Engineering lead.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Directly responsible for the Kompute Kubernetes platform; including delivery of technical features and essential maintenance.
- Managing a team of 10 engineers.
- Guide the team through prioritisation and roadmap creation, and operate a healthy planning cycle with your team.
- Proactively support your team members to achieve their performance and development goals.
- Create a safe and inclusive culture for all people.
- Apply your domain knowledge and technological expertise to multiply their team’s effectiveness in delivering impactful products.
- Working with engineering teams across different business units within Block to ensure the kubernetes platform is fit for purpose.
- Relevant Bachelor's degree (or equivalent practical experience) plus 8 years of relevant industry (or additional academic) experience.
- 2+ years of experience managing teams
- Working knowledge of AWS, Kubernetes, CI/CD.
- Proficiency in foundational tools like git, docker, bash, terraform, networking.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.