Software Engineer - Money Management (Recent Grad)
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow, and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration, and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
Join Cash App's Money Management team and play a pivotal role in revolutionizing the world's relationship with money. We’re on a mission to transform the Cash App into the ultimate place for managing, saving, and growing money – creating the bank we always wished we had and empowering all our customers with the financial tools and knowledge to build generational wealth!
As a server engineer on the Money Management team, you'll be instrumental in creating innovative financial products that make a tangible difference in the lives of underbanked customers. Help us break down barriers to financial inclusion by providing seamless access to savings accounts, building financial transparency, and driving financial stability for those who need it most. You’ll collaborate with a talented team of professionals from Product, Design, Data Science, and more, as you shape our strategy and define our development processes in a dynamic and mission-driven environment.
- Partner closely with product managers, designers, engineers, and business leads to scope, design, and build new products & features
- Work on impactful, multi-team projects that cross Engineering team boundaries
- Lead important technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the company
- Hold your teammates—and yourself—to high engineering standards
- Be located within one of the following hubs and able to work at the office 1x/week: Toronto or Kitchener-Waterloo
Things you’d be interested in learning more about:
- How we can build financial technologies that serve people from all walks of life
- Navigating regulations in moving money from one place to another to enable secure and seamless money transfers
- Building magic, fun, and educational financial experiences
- Expected graduation between May 2021 and May 2023 and are completing a degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math or a related technical field, as well as boot camp graduates and engineering training participants with 1+ years of software development or equivalent experience (including internships and co-ops)
- Experience leading and executing delivery projects on time while maintaining a high-quality bar
- Interest in understanding and debugging complex systems with many moving parts across multiple teams and cross-functional partners
- Growth mindset and a healthy comfort with ambiguity
- Empathy for the users of the products you create
- A passion for learning and sharing knowledge alongside teammates, with self-motivation and keen attention to detail
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin, Java
- Event-driven microservice architecture
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, Protocol Buffers
- OkHttp, JUnit, Guice
- Hibernate, AWS Aurora, DynamoDB
- AWS Cloud Services
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.