Senior Data Scientist, Afterpay Product
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will be responsible for partnering with Product Managers to own data for the entire product. You will be developing ongoing analyses and reports to support our expanding Merchant (Seller) product suite. You will analyze integration, retention, adoption, product funnel plus other pertinent aspects of product launch/operation/GTM etc.
You will also analyze business performance, deliver data-driven business insights for decision making, and provide insights on product features and services (for both new concepts and existing products), design A/ B testing and communicate findings.
- Work closely with the leadership team, Product and Engineering & other stakeholders to understand their data science needs
- Develop a formalized process to identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets, empower informed decision making for stakeholders
- Design and conduct analyses, build datamarts, and ship dashboards to provide insights at scale in support of growth strategies
- Partner with Product and other stakeholders teams in developing methodologies to accurately assess and measure impact of our business strategy
- Design and execute A/B and multivariate tests
- Isolate, identify and communicate data issues and own data quality for the analyses and reports produced
- Monitor and analyze data reports/dashboards/pipelines and perform RCA/ troubleshooting of issues that arise
Technologies we use:
- SQL, Python
- Amplitude, Sumo Logic
- Looker, Tableau
- 5+ years of industry experience (excluding internships and/or graduate work)
- Quantitative background in statistics, mathematics, computer science, or related disciplines
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills, combined with effective judgment and communication skills
- An ability to uphold a high technical bar while making pragmatic tradeoffs
- Strong organizational/time/project management skills and able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple projects simultaneously and to tight deadlines
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $169,000
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $160,600
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $152,100
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $143,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.