Data Science Manager, Marketing
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
We are looking for an experienced Data Science Manager to develop and lead our growing Marketing Science and Analytics team. This team plays a crucial role in various aspects of our organization, including Brand Marketing, Product Marketing, Paid Growth Marketing, and Customer Marketing. As the Marketing Data Science Manager, you will oversee a small team of data scientists, contribute to Marketing strategic decision-making processes, and grow and develop the team in partnership with Marketing leadership.
This team directly partners with marketing leadership and will be growing to support and enhance the roadmap of four marketing disciplines across Brand Marketing, Product Marketing, Paid Growth Marketing, and Customer Marketing. This cross functional team consisting of a number of disciplines is looking to bring a strategic, technically strong Data Science lead into the fold.
This team holds a unique position within our organization as it actively partners and manages relationships across the breadth of the Cash product development organization. This presents a significant opportunity for exposure and impact throughout the business, given the large-scale product changes we undertake.
While this is a leadership role, in the initial stages of building the team, we need someone with enough technical depth to roll up their sleeves and collaborate with the workstreams on experimentation and product analytics. Please expect an interview process which assesses both leadership and technical Data Science skills.
- Lead the workstream: You will be responsible for hiring and scaling up the team.
- Collaborate with senior leaders: Work closely with leaders from Marketing, Brand, Engineering, Design, and Product to establish and drive a long-term vision for the team, aligning data science initiatives with organizational goals.
- Utilize data and expertise to build compelling narratives: Communicate ideas and opportunities effectively to gain buy-in and build alignment with both internal and external partners.
- Level up the data science discipline in this domain. Develop a culture of hypothesis based testing, Drive the members of the team towards high levels of strategic integration with their workstream leads, Execute on opportunities to enhance the marketing roadmap through surfacing new problem statements and new optimizations.
- Contribute high value reusable frameworks, tools, and best practices to enhance the foundational Data Science discipline.
- Leverage your unique strengths and experience in marketing to expand the scope and impact of the role, and tailor the role’s shape to you.
To be successful, you should have:
- 8+ years of Data Science experience, with at least 2+ years of experience as a direct Manager of Data Scientists or Data Analysts.
- Experience working in Marketing and a genuine passion for the space.
- Proficiency in Python, SQL, and other relevant tools that allow you to support and mentor the team and encourage their technical growth.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to translate insights into impactful actions.
- Excellent business acumen and a self-starting, growth-centric mindset.
Technologies we use and/or teach:
- Querying and Pipelines: SQL (MySQL, Snowflake, BigQuery), Airflow, Prefect
- Data Manipulation and Analysis: Python (Pandas, NumPy and sklearn) or R
- Dashboarding: Mode, Tableau, Looker
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.